When do you start mowing your lawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Crap. I had to put a new battery in my mower and mow again. Twice before April 1? If I waited that long, some of my grass would be over a foot tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Cousin James resides in the state of New York.
He said a man in the neighborhood has already mowed the grass. However, the grass was already short.
What was his purpose of mowing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Depends on where you live and the type of grass you grow. Here it goes dormant and brown in winter for example. Best talk to a local lawn maintenance company. Most of them will give you a lot of advice even if you don't hire them. Scotts also has an online program, customized to your location and lawn, that will ship you the treatments you need when you need them and provide lots of advice on maintaining you lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@LouisFerdinand WHY do you keep dragging up old threads? This one was started 10 years ago.
Surely, if you want to discuss the subject you could start a NEW thread?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@LouisFerdinand WHY do you keep dragging up old threads? This one was started 10 years ago.
Surely, if you want to discuss the subject you could start a NEW thread?
Actually, I see no issue with dragging up old threads, the old comments might be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the old comments might be helpful.
Things don't change so fast in gardening as many things. Mind, I had a gardening book that must have been published about a hundred years ago, 1920's, and they talk about the modern things like DDT being worth trying but not to forget the solid basics, like red and white lead, and arsenic. Things have changed in 100years, but ten?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taking up threads from 10 years ago, or even less may be still a viable subject, but hardly anyone will see the answers given who were using the forums at that time. So often, a question is asked, and as old threads are dragged up, members very often write nice long answers, trying to assist the original poster (who of course, is long gone)
It has usually been the normal and accepted unwritten rule that this is not a good idea.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a child of the sixties, I tend to think that it is normal, accepted unwritten rules that are not a good idea, but I appreciate there has been a considerable swing in public opinion since then.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a child of the sixties, I tend to think that it is normal, accepted unwritten rules that are not a good idea, but I appreciate there has been a considerable swing in public opinion since then.
No, you are a child of the forties just like I am, and mums taught their kids to button their lips - so this is me 🤐....... 😴

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, I was a babe in the forties., and my Mum certainly did nothing of the sort, my parents were quakers and teachers, inquisitiveness was strongly encouraged. Just sayin'.

Ask a Question