When can I start strawberries?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Im waiting impatiently to be able to start strawberries again. When is the best time to order bare roots for my hardiness zone?

Thanks in advanced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What's plugs?
It's a little hard to explain but plugs are basically small plants. Kind of like transplants but less mature, so to speak. Don't buy large strawberry plants, transplants or bare root. You will have much better success with plugs. Buy container type plugs also

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCI0229.JPG

Plugs are on the top shelf on the right, and on the ground in the middle :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I remember I bought bare roots and you said "wrong season"

If I buy plugs, will they last all year long? Or will I have to replant them every season/year?

Can I plant seeds? I'm trying to wrap my head around why it was the wrong season 2 months ago, but good now. Can you please explain how season work for strawberries. Aren't they perennials?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I remember I bought bare roots and you said "wrong season"

If I buy plugs, will they last all year long? Or will I have to replant them every season/year?

Can I plant seeds? I'm trying to wrap my head around why it was the wrong season 2 months ago, but good now. Can you please explain how season work for strawberries. Aren't they perennials?
Technically strawberrys are perennials but realistically they are annuals. Two months ago it was summer. Now it is fall and the weather will start to cool. Strawberrys grow in cool weather and produce when the temperatures rise again.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got any plugs? :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Been potting up the runners on mine, got some good plants coming on :)

DSCI0067.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you for clearing that up. Can I plant by bare roots? I found this good seller which I bought from with a really good price and they all worked. It was just the heat that killed them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for clearing that up. Can I plant by bare roots? I found this good seller which I bought from with a really good price and they all worked. It was just the heat that killed them.
You can, BUT. Many people do bare root and mostly do ok, BUT. You will do much better with plugs.
https://www.agrireseau.net/petitsfruits/documents/Strawberry Plug Review.pdf
http://strawberryplants.org/2013/08/are-bare-root-strawberries-or-strawberry-plant-plugs-better/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What was a "good seller" doing selling them in the middle of summer? Reputable sellers are only now starting to sell them. No wonder it was a good price.

Ask a Question