What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Got these bargains..

SAM_0030.JPG
SAM_0031.JPG

Shame, all the goodies that I want have gone. Only seeds left were not what I want.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, got 2 clematis Macropelata for £2 each, far better than buying seeds from C****** which came to nothing.

upload_2017-9-27_19-9-43.jpeg

Well chuffed. I bought one for £10 and it has died on me. Tomorrow, both of them will be layered to give me baby plants so that I can sell them to recoup my loss.

Also got 4 cushions for garden chairs at £3 each.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You went yourself? Or hubby picking them up? I so wanted to buy fritillaria imperalis, but 3 for £6 was too many for me. Besides, I might not be here to enjoy them. I had to rein myself in.

Bought one from Wilko last year and it rotted. Gutted!

Are you going to put them in pots or into the border? Good price for so many ..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hubby took me to go to the opticians.had to wait for them to open.so i had a look round wilko.
I'll put 3 in each pot to put in any spair spaces later.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nice to go out and feel the buzz... I always go out on a Wednesday, so that I can get 10% in a certain diy store. So I got a bit discount off my clematises and cushions from yesterday.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did you enjoy it? I would. Homebase had a lot of hydrangeas in - paniculata and some others.. but they were bone dry. Try to get a diamond club card from B&Q and go shopping on Wednesday to get 10%. But the horrible thing is that they might have add 10% to the prices already and it might be cheaper to get something from Home Bargains or B&M.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes i did. They can't alter prices for a day. Hubby has cards like that for the local garden centres. We haven't got a B&Q or a Homebase.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, dear! NO Homebase or B&Q. I wouldn't know what to do during weekends without these!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yesterday I went to a plant nursery to see if they had lettuce seeds, which they did. Pricey, but the only ones available. But, I made up for the extra cost by getting a thyme plant in a 4" pot for $1. It is end of season, the poor thing was overgrown and pot bound, and needed TLC.
I brought it home, cut off the very long growth and left about 2" of new growth. After taking care of the potbound roots, and repotting in a larger container with fresh soil, I washed and dried the long and tangled stems so I could harvest the leaves for later use.
I love bargains, but I love rescuing plants even more!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I used to like to raise plants from seeds, but have had a lot of setback eg. compost with mould, bugs, or some seedlings were just too weak to further its growth. Liviing so near shops is definitely advantage. i bought a lobelia (perennials) for £2.99 and found out that I got 6 new plants from the side shoots,

I love bargains too, especially when I can split one pot into 4 pots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When I buy starts of tomatoes, peppers, or broccoli, I always look for a six-pack with more than six plants. My husband asked if I was searching for the sturdiest plants, and I told him I was looking for more than one plant in the cells. Of course, some of the little ones don't make it, but some do and I have more to share!
I've done the same thing with perennials, Alp. I bought lantana at the end of season, and ended up with six plants when I bought only one, discounted!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@marlingardener I can only buy reduced plants as the original prices were too shocking to pay. £7.97 for a pot of Salvia Amistad. £13 for camelia .. All these reduced plants came in 3L pots - proper and sturdy and there was no shame in buying them. I have had lovely anemones - white and pink. Astilbe both pink and white which I chopped into 4 or more pots from a big pot.

I think we share the same pleasure of rescuing the half dead plants and the fact that we get so many more plants makes our shopping trips so much more fun, don't you think?

Ask a Question