What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
£15 for an allotment is brilliant. How big is it, @Robert Cummings ?

I am very lucky. I have a garden of 110 feet and 8m wide taper to about 6m at the back. So I don't really need an allotment. I reckon the camaraderie is a much more charming aspect of gardening in an allotment. I also have a front garden although it is a bit smaller and flanked by 2 driveways. We have 2 allotments quite near here and there are vacancies in one. Round here, people are mostly very lucky and some even have gardens 170 long and another one 300 feet long.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon my garden is not half as big as yours, @Upsy Daisy !

The cheapest is to grow seeds, like the way you do. I'd better take cuttings. But I've found out that some salvia cuttings don't take very well eg Greggii. They just died on me. Must wait for the seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Our Allotment is about 10 metres wide X 30 metres long, we also have a large garden at home but like our house it's slowly being renovated, but there not going to be a veg garden as we need the space for other projects. We can put up a small shed and poly tunnel on the allotment so that suits us just nicely and for £15 it's really a no brained.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
That was meant to read no brainer. dont you just hate predictive text !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3146.JPG
Not a recent purchase but first year flowering plant is a kniphophia Ember Glow. This is an autumn flowerer so only recently started flowering. Should make a good autumn feature in future years with the aster Frikartii Monch behind, caryopteris Summer Sorbet in the foreground and the carex Bronze Form to the left.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's brilliant. I wonder if it would be this cheap our way, just outside London. No brainer, as you put it. Fantastic. Today, I didn't get any bargain, but paid full price for a glorious yellow hibiscus. Single, simple, bold, open, and cheerful. Promptly separated it into 3 plants and will take some cuttings later.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 27032 Not a recent purchase but first year flowering plant is a kniphophia Ember Glow. This is an autumn flowerer so only recently started flowering. Should make a good autumn feature in future years with the aster Frikartii Monch behind, caryopteris Summer Sorbet in the foreground and the carex Bronze Form to the left.

is the aster a perennial? I have a deep love and hate relationship with Kniphofia. They clump very quickly and become massive and soon gatecrashed by slugs and snails. I would dig them up and chuck them. Then when I saw them tall and proud and haughty on a slope, I asked myself why not have another go and the vicious circle continued. I will only go for small ones. I dug up two massive clumps and have kept some in pots. They surely are a glorious show. I prefer this to parterre formation where they use boring plants just to get colour. Love GW as they show the island formation. Might have a go if I get a bigger piece of land.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp I'm comming over to your raid gardening haunts..we never get bargains like that over here :(

Apart from rain, and the conflicts, this is another reason I wouldn't want to live in Ireland... Really want to see the Giant Causeway though..

Have a look next month when the reductions should get serious. .. Just go to B&Q / Homebase (have you got one?? :cry:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You've got them!:D:p Next month or even in November. I got some strawberries very late and I didn't look after them well. 50p down the drain. Judging from the names, they should have been very sweet. Even though the weather has been inclement, we are still in September. Just drive round on Sundays, and see if you're lucky. We usually go round 2 Homebase and 2 B&Q during the weekends. They sell 2L stuff and sometimes even with £2.99, a 2 to 3L pot can be separated into 7 plants and more for anemones as their roots just go MAD!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Dont be daft hahahaha....
:D:p

That woke me a bit. Was watching the conflict between Christendom and Islam. Religions are nothing but troubles .. and factious ..

Ask a Question