What's Looking Good in May 2017

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
In the Latin languages i am mystified by how each word has to be masculine or feminine and how all the descriptor words have to be masculine or feminine to match the noun. What a pain.
I'm reminded of a joke my senior colleague used to tell.
There are two hippopotamuses walking ahead. One man asks the other which one is male. His friend answers.... Why should I bother? It is for the hippopotamus to bother.

I have just a few cacti which I neglect and they love it. Kept in small pots.

DSC07497.JPG

DSC07496.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The flowers are just beginning to open on our Clematis Montana
View attachment 20082

The tree peony has almost finished now. It's a few weeks early because of the drought we've had and the warmer weather earlier in the year.
View attachment 20084

Viburnum plicatum is coming along well but has a lot more flower to burst into life
View attachment 20086

Laburnums are also starting to flower
View attachment 20087

Allium giganteum is just starting to open with a very young Choisya ternata 'Sundance' in the back ground doing its best to show off to the bamboo behind it.
View attachment 20089

The giant Euphorbia mellifera is just starting to bloom after having been cut back earlier this year
View attachment 20090

View attachment 20085

View attachment 20083

View attachment 20088

Gorgeous flowers and planting, @Bootsy ! Absolutely bowled over! What a celebration for the time of the year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Okay @Bootsy, what is a "quiz"...something like what we would call a "crossword puzzle"?:) If so what title did you give your "ant" quiz as a hint to the solvers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@MaryMary yes, i've had my suspicions that you might be a wordophile:cautious:
giggle.gif

@Bootsy...thank you, sounds like fun (not so much on TV) but in real life people gatherings, pub quizzes sound like fun.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
We use the masculine, feminine and even middle genus. :D
I don't remember that from Russian language classes, possibly i was in denial or thinking about my boyfriend. German also has masculine, feminine, and neuter. My question to the universe is WHY? Why do words like "store", "elephant", "butter", "book" need to have a gender? It makes no sense at all, who cares, and who is responsible?:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Bootsy said:I blame it on the Evil Language Genie :D

In most or probably all languages there are things that don't make sense and just need to be accepted, and i can do that with no problem. But this M/F/N business is just plain cruel and i would like to get my hands on that Evil Language Genie, although i expect i am more than a few centuries too late. I am more fascinated with the thinking behind this. Why would anyone assign a gender to "ant" for example, or amoeba or a thousand other words that do not refer to girls or boys? I think i will have to go back to Sanskrit for some clue and then compare to the oldest Asian language, maybe Mandarin?

In Spanish, with lots of exceptions, most F words end in "a" and most "M" words end in "o" and as long as i get the noun right, i don't worry about the descriptors. I have developed my own sound that is half way between "a" and "o" and kind of hurry over it. For me, the word "agua" (water) is the funniest because it is an "F" word, but always it is "el agua" (el M for "the" and F for "agua"). I asked one of my teachers, why it is el agua instead of la agua and was told that "la agua" doesn't sound good.:rolleyes: Gotcha

Ask a Question