United Kingdom
April thread here

DSCI0033.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm well pleased with this little wisteria Sinensis Alba.

P1010381.JPG

I was concerned just a couple of weeks ago that it looked a bit dead when I bought it. But it's really doing well.
There must be thirty to forty blooms to come out on it.

P1010388.JPG

Makes a change from this pink one we bought over a decade ago that took eight years before it flowered.

P1050917.JPG

The first of our rhodos is out.

P1010390.JPG

This is a bloom on the camellia behind it, we like the attractive lush variegated leaves as much as the flowers. Though we don't get that many as I keep it well pruned back.

P1010350.JPG

And the flox I planted on the rockery at the end of last year is starting to spread and flower.

P1010391.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Sean Regan Phlox is lovely. With well defined petals and though small is a very stunning ground hugger! My wisteria from Homebase costing me £10.43 reduced is throwing up buds. So excited. The other one has been in a big tub for a long, long time and still, no sign of movement. Some of those raised from seeds from Hong Kong are still surviving. Shame I didn't take them indoors. They germinated brilliantly and now the company has gone. Wish I had bought more. So excited to having the first wisteria in my garden. It has its own trellis to grow on. Lovely rhodos. So love your garden, Sean!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
@Sean Regan Phlox is lovely. With well defined petals and though small is a very stunning ground hugger! My wisteria from Homebase costing me £10.43 reduced is throwing up buds. So excited. The other one has been in a big tub for a long, long time and still, no sign of movement. Some of those raised from seeds from Hong Kong are still surviving. Shame I didn't take them indoors. They germinated brilliantly and now the company has gone. Wish I had bought more. So excited to having the first wisteria in my garden. It has its own trellis to grow on. Lovely rhodos. So love your garden, Sean!

We love wisteria, probably why we've got six!

We had a white one before, but it died about ten years ago..

Wisteria 2.JPG

We bought another to replace it, but couldn't find another white one at the time, so we have this.

P1060527.JPG

The problem is that the left half is from a branch of the really old one on the garage wall. You can see the big branch that is growing over the door in the fence. This one was already here when we bought the house in 1972, but over the last couple of years it had been dying off. It had a huge trunk, which was rotting,

P1060736.JPG

So I took it out. I did try training some branches from the remaining stem and some from the root that had layered themselves and they did produce some leaves last year. But what was left on the pergola of the old branches didn't.

P1060747.JPG

But this year.. nothing! They'd died.

P1010189.JPG

So I pruned them off and I've put some silicone around the root where it's rotting. If it were healthy the remaining branch would have forced out some new shoots from the bottom, but it hasn't. So although there's a lot of blooms on the pergola, this may be its "final flurry."

In the meantime on the pergola on the back of the house I'll be training the one on the right and the pink one in the narrow bed on the left, to grow towards each other.

The new white one will be sharing the garage wall with the three new clematis.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sean: When you have suitable material, you could layer the white so that you can have an heir and a spare. You told us that you layered your rhodo/azalea. I will definitely layer my azalea. It a very pretty white one! White wisteria is so unique as the amethyst one is more or less everywhere. People are worried that wisterla might bring down their walls or supporting materials.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
A house down the end of our lane is absolutely smoothed in Wisteria and it is very neglected. The damage it has caused looks awful , can't see the windows at all. Roof tiles have been lifted, gutters hanging off after being dislodged with the stuff. The person in the house has lived there for years and isn't that old either......must make it so dark inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A house down the end of our lane is absolutely smoothed in Wisteria and it is very neglected. The damage it has caused looks awful , can't see the windows at all. Roof tiles have been lifted, gutters hanging off after being dislodged with the stuff. The person in the house has lived there for years and isn't that old either......must make it so dark inside.

That sounds tragic.

Ours are well away from the brickwork, except where one runs round a side wall (a photo in my previous post) over the kitchen door and window. It's attached to fixings on the wall and I check it every year, to make sure a branch doesn't try to get under the eaves of the kitchen roof.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yours looks absolutely wonderful @Sean Regan :)(y)
Its just so sad to see this lovely, albeit, unruly plant causing so much damage.....makes me want to sneak in and do a bit of hard pruning :D:ROFLMAO:(y)¿

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question