What's going on in the Greenhouse

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@johnny canoe Are you serious? They snow in Japan as well, you know.. and I think acers do well in Scotland too. So you're in the west of Alberta.. Is that right or my geography has failed me. Rocky mountain runs through British Columbia I think.. See that was about 35 years ago that I did my geography.. Need to consult the physical map of Canada.. Those seeds are horrible and I don't even know what they are as they never came with any label.. Shame is that I bought loads of wisteria seeds from Hong Kong and the germination rate is very good.. And they are tough cookies and have survived the winter here..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
You are a little bit mistaken Alp. The Rocky Mountains divide Alberta and British Columbia. We have about half and so does BC. I was born right in the Rocky Mountains, the town of Banff Alberta, 45min. dive west.

4a is the warmest hardiness zone here, not warm enough for the Japanese Acer. Plus Japan might have snow, but we have a constant freeze and thaw all winter in southern Alberta. Temps dipping to near -40, Japan gets nowhere near so cold.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@johnny canoe Thank you for the geography lesson.. OK, I'll visit you, drive west.. LOL! Haha!

Nice town Banff Alberta .. Must be a very clean area to live in... Love all the lakes, mountains, but not so much snow though.. Do you have a log fire going on day and night in winter..?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Tomato seedlings are loving the GH. It's pretty stuffed in there and I still have to bring out Nicotiana, Four O Clock, and some late Petunia seedlings. At least the pots and Zonals get taken out into the full sun during the warm enough days.
P1040261.JPG
P1040265.JPG
P1040260.JPG
P1040257.JPG
P1040264.JPG
P1040263.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! Look at those perfectly formed miniature plants. I am afraid I am an abject failure.

Look at the good ones

So called good ones
SAM_1818.JPG

And the Scabious, how weak and pathetic they are!
SAM_1819.JPG

This is my best - salad leaves
SAM_1821.JPG

Look at these hopeless ones
In the middle are supposed to be my beloved petunia pirouettes.. I am not buying from them again.

SAM_1815.JPG
SAM_1816.JPG

How hopeless are they!
SAM_1817.JPG

I need a hole to bury myself . LOL! @johnny canoe I've downgraded your greenhouse thread.. Just want people to know why I have lost my Joie de vivre! :eek::eek::cry::cry::cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Alp,
Well don't be tough on yourself. Those first two are perennials you are growing there and they are slow growers. I have the same result with perennial seedlings as you do.

Petunia seeds are always hit and miss with germination. I'm glad I collected my own seeds, they are so expensive to buy. I was able to really over seed my trays, but even at that there were a couple types that were very poor germinating.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the encouragement. But this year has been diabolical. I need to find a good seed compost so as to reduce the fatality rate.. I think the coir in the compost dries up too early and is very poor in nutrients.. Very heartbreaking as it seems to be too late for seed germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I actually decided to save more money reusing the mix from last year. I've been putting it in large zip lock bags, unsealed, and putting it into the microwave for 3min on high. It's been working like a charm, I just have to fertilize because the old mix has none left but that doesn't apply to germinating the seeds. I do take out bigger pieces of roots and wood.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's a clever idea! I will copy this.. I always microwave my compost for air layering and for seed germination.. To be honest, it is so costly to fill up a pot and I have only 6 to 9L pots and the amount of compost I have used is just staggering.. I wasted quite a bit potting up dahlia tubers and then potting them in the ground.. (I know, I was a bit stupid. I was thinking of moving with the pots rather than digging every single one of them up)..

Good idea, Johnny!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_20170413_165515.jpg

On the top are some Cosmos under fleece to stop the slugs and snails, in the bottom are fuschia cuttings and last year's fuschias and geraniums.
IMG_20170413_165623.jpg

This is the concervatory with
IMG_20170413_165921.jpg

Last year's chilli plants, when their kept from last year, they will flower earlier.
I'll take some more tomorrow, the light isn't very good.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon I should do that with my fish tank, @Logan

What a brilliant idea.. I have put a tray of salad leaves outside but the box with the tray is inside a plastic bag.. The seedlings really like it there and they are doing very well.. It's mini greenhouse..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon I should do that with my fish tank, @Logan

What a brilliant idea.. I have put a tray of salad leaves outside but the box with the tray is inside a plastic bag.. The seedlings really like it there and they are doing very well.. It's mini greenhouse..
That's a good idea.;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
;):) It looks quite good. Will take a pic tomorrow.

Ask a Question