What's going wrong with my Avocado?

ZKZ

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hi!

I recently transplanted this plant from water to pot. But with about 3-4 days of that I noticed that instead of being happy about the newly found minerals in the ground, it had started curling, withering and turning dry.

Even though it's just spring and Avocados love the sun, I was forced to move this to a shaded place.
It is still alive but not cheered up.

Somebody mentioned over-watering as a possible cause. So I stopped watering and although it hasn't gotten any better, it hasn't got any worse either. Which indicates that it could have been over-watering.

But how do I know for sure and what do I do to make it grow fast and healthy?

Please reply with as much detail as possible.

Thanks.

Attachments

• dsc_0142_26605860481_o.jpg
    dsc_0142_26605860481_o.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 282
  • dsc_0143_26671534485_o.jpg
    dsc_0143_26671534485_o.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 310
  • dsc_0144_26067432383_o.jpg
    dsc_0144_26067432383_o.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 293
  • dsc_0145_26067438993_o.jpg
    dsc_0145_26067438993_o.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 293
  • dsc_0146_26065646594_o.jpg
    dsc_0146_26065646594_o.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 302
Reaction score
Country
United States
yeah, the leaves definitely make it look like it was overwatered. Growing plants that small are hard because a tiny mistake and they can´t recover, which is why most people grow a dozen or so and hope to get 1 that grows right.

Also, while avocados love the sun and will grow to a big tree, that doesn´t mean that the small plant does. Remember, in the wild, these guys would be growing underneath a lot of big trees that are stealing the sun.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'd say too watering and the sun could be a bit of a culprit too. I know it sounds funny, plants should love both but too much of a good thing you know. I do agree with @petesede that growing small plants are hard. They're delicate, one wrong move and they're done. I'm one of the people that grow quite a few and hope for the best that at least a couple make it through. It's a great day when all of them survive but I've never had that happen to me. I'm having the same kind of problem with tomatoes at the moment. I thought for sure I'd have to restart because they just weren't even cutting out of the ground but last night I saw some life!

ZKZ

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
yeah, the leaves definitely make it look like it was overwatered. Growing plants that small are hard because a tiny mistake and they can´t recover, which is why most people grow a dozen or so and hope to get 1 that grows right.

Also, while avocados love the sun and will grow to a big tree, that doesn´t mean that the small plant does. Remember, in the wild, these guys would be growing underneath a lot of big trees that are stealing the sun.

I'd say too watering and the sun could be a bit of a culprit too. I know it sounds funny, plants should love both but too much of a good thing you know. I do agree with @petesede that growing small plants are hard. They're delicate, one wrong move and they're done. I'm one of the people that grow quite a few and hope for the best that at least a couple make it through. It's a great day when all of them survive but I've never had that happen to me. I'm having the same kind of problem with tomatoes at the moment. I thought for sure I'd have to restart because they just weren't even cutting out of the ground but last night I saw some life!

Hi!

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I guess it was the sun and water. The plant is pretty much dead now. :unsure: :cry:
But what intrigues me is that it was actually grown in and staying in water before I transplanted it to the pot.
Secondly, it was also in the same sun shine. However, the weather did change abruptly so ...
I have moved it to shade now, the stem/stalk is still green and I water it cautiously so lets see.

Anyways, I am growing Tomatoes too. Mine did sprout well and is a plant now almost, with potential of flowers. Only 2 or 3 bloomed and guess what. They got sun burnt too. :eek:
Moved this to a shade too and water it cautiously as well, because I read online that a main reason for flower death/wilting is humidity. So fingers crossed now for the rest of the flowers.

In other news, my Jalapeno is even smaller than the Tomato and has decided to be a parent; teenagers these days and the American culture, I guess. :confused: :cool:
Waiting to see how long it takes for that flower to succumb to heat. (y)

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
What kind of soil did you plant it into and the PH? It's probably not just the water but the type of soil it is planted into. We have an avocado tree that was left alone to fend for itself and still bores fruits. I live in a tropical country but the way you'd grow yours is probably a little more different.

Ask a Question