What's going wrong with my peppers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
My pepper plants don't seem to be doing too well this year. I have been on the hunt for pests at night, but haven't found anything. Any suggestions?

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums :)

Looks like they've picked up a virus:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Could be a fungal or virus disease but I wouldn't rule out large temperature fluctuations either

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies so far. I am located in zone 9B, just slightly north of Santa Cruz, CA.

What is my remedy if things do not improve soon? I'm guessing simply removing the plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, back in the 1980s I lived in Scotts Valley, then Santa Cruz. Gorgeous area!
Honestly, your best bet is to go to your local (NOT big box) nursery or greenhouse with a sample leaf and ask them. Local, knowleagable advice is best. Some fungal diseases are easily treated with commercial sprays or Neem oil or even vinegar; some are in the soil and require more work. But some of these things can be highly localized, which is why getting local expert advice is best. I am sure you have a Master Gardener extension office there. Why, yes, you do:
http://cesantacruz.ucanr.edu/Monterey_Bay_Master_Gardener_Information/

THAT's who you need to talk to. Good luck, and let us know what you find out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Thanks very much Beth_B, I think that's probably the best possible answer I could get. Scotts Valley is where I live - a fantastic climate for vegetables. Unfortunately my available sun is hindered by fences and trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hear you Michael, my property now is very wooded and shaded so I have limited space for veggies. I make it work but it's a challenge.

I lived on Scotts Valley Drive, behind what used to be Leo's Liquors, on three acres with tons of poppies. I imagine that's all built up now but back in the day it was just fields. I had free range chickens and a giant oak tree and between oak mulch and chicken poop I had an amazing garden.

Ask a Question