What's going on in the Greenhouse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
The GH is filling up. More Petunia seedlings to do today. I'll have to work around my big pots of cannas and dahlias, to cold out and it just started to snow. Tomato seedlings are ready to be potted up but they will remain in the house until this cold spell is over with.
P1040247.JPG
P1040243.JPG
P1040244.JPG
P1040245.JPG
P1040246.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
LOL! @johnny canoe I like your staking system:LOL::ROFLMAO::p:D .. I am surprised you didn't line the green house with bubble wrap - it's like burning money... How annoying that you suddenly have a cold snap.. I will be in tears if it snows here as I have just put all the dahlias out and it has been a very hot and humid day. I went around all the shops feeling very ill and only recovered at about 4pm..

I keep knocking the tray over .. and now with all the dahlias out, I have room to walk in. Tomorrow, I will sow petunia as well. I love our pirouettes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi Alp, the problem with wrapping is this would have to be done daily and through out the day. As soon as the sun hits the house in the morning it will heat up past 40C. Only one heater is running at the moment and it kicks off and on as needed. Even in the middle of winter on a -20 day the GH heats up to well above freezing if it's sunny out. But I don't start using the GH until March and only for a couple months. Mostly the heaters aren't needed until night.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Corr! Can't imagine all the travail all the plant lovers have to put up with all over the world. That's the horror of a greenhouse.. If I really had one, all my seedlings might be toasted.. LOL!

Thank you, after a bit of a rest, all has been restored, especially when I had to fashion a meal with Jacket potatoes with about 10 ingredients.. Couldn't really get it done feeling sick.. LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few offerings:

Cupcake cosmos have a pair of true leaves now. Well, some of them.
IMGA0037.JPG

Still a bit straggly! Wish @Logan will offer some solution!

Dahlia seeds doing very well!
IMGA0036.JPG

Some orange cosmos
IMGA0035.JPG

Now I've found my tomatoes

IMGA0039.JPG

Must water them like mad.. Don't know how you managed to keep yours moist.. Some of my seedlings are already dead because of dryness..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I can remember, yes. But you have to be early.. It's the cheapest way of getting dahlias.. I saw a packet of Collarette seeds £2.49 and if you grow them, you will have lovely flowers and yet one tuber can cost me from £1 to £5... Do the sums.. They are worth having.. I grew some called Dandy last year and saw some collarettes the same year, though a bit late.. Chalk it up for next year, Johnny.. Really lovely flowers.. Off now to sow more seeds to upload here!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Finally, I found my seeds Butterfly weed, Asclepias tuberosa, and I have just potted them up.. I am so messy, what a to do! Could have sown them last month.. Also trimmed the top of the orange cosmos.. Yesterday, I sowed some penstemon sensation mix and sweet corn ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hello Alp,
I love the Butterfly weed. Several years ago I had three young plants shipped to me from Prince Edward Island. They didn't make it, the winter was too cold, they may have survived if I had planted them right against the house.
Can't wait to get my geraniums and big pots out of the GH today for some sun time!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! Thought you were still asleep! LOL! The sun makes us all excited. Now I am a damp squid as it has been cloudy, cold and miserable.. Speaking of the devil, the sun has made its first appearance.. Shame we were supposed to have been drenched in blue band of rain.. I'll be laughing if we have drizzle.. No, a bit to wet the ground, but not even underneath the leaves.. :cry::cry::cry::cry:! @Upsy Daisy and I are trying to wet the ground by crying us a river ...!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@johnny canoe Talking about butterfly weed, I didn't even know what it was. I saw loads of them outside the glass house in RHS Wisley and then I learned the name. Love its colour. Reminds me of Californian poppies.. Very strong orange colour.. When we saw them, they were smothered with bees, not butterflies! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@johnny canoe You do cheer up my days.. those begonias are lovely.. You must make sure you take some snaps when it is in full bloom this year.. Great expectation from me! ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Planted some pointy sweet pepper seeds sourced from peppers bought up the road..

IMGA0018.JPG

I use a polystyrene tray and wrap it up with a clear plastic bag.. That way, the seeds will germinate faster. Might not suit others though.

Also sowed some mauve cosmos .. Hope to do more tomorrow.

Ask a Question