What's going on with my tomato?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's gettin full sun (about 8hrs with another 3 to 4 in shade) water as needed (seems to be every 5 days or so). Planter has a layer of lava rock on bottom to help with drainage and has two good drain holes. I used potting mix with a little organic soil mixed in. Not sure what else you might need to know, just ask.
20170329_170210.jpg
20170329_170216.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's gettin full sun (about 8hrs with another 3 to 4 in shade) water as needed (seems to be every 5 days or so). Planter has a layer of lava rock on bottom to help with drainage and has two good drain holes. I used potting mix with a little organic soil mixed in. Not sure what else you might need to know, just ask.
View attachment 18117 View attachment 18118
That looks like stink bugs. It is not a watering problem. It could be other insects but it looks stink bugs although it is early for them to show up. Look closely for any sucking bug. Also look for very tiny worms, no more than 1/4" long. They will be a light green color. If you find them spray with Bt. They are called pin worms. The best thing to do is to spray with a spinosad based product

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks chuck, your a fountain of information! I'll see what I can find at Walmart or ace tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is Bt?
Bt is a bacterial pesticide that only kills caterpillars. It real name is Bacillus thuringensis. Spinosad is another bacterial pesticide that will kill most harmful insects and caterpillars but it doesn't kill caterpillars as fast. Any real nursery will have them. Both are harmless to humans and pets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
"bt" stands for Bacillus thuringiensis. It is the best caterpillar killer you can get. It knocked all mine down after the first use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
Will bt kill the worms with the red pointy tails? I usually just pick those off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Will bt kill the worms with the red pointy tails? I usually just pick those off.
Worms with red pointy tails? ???? Do you mean Hornworm? The tomato hornworm has a reddish pointy thing on its head. Bt ONLY KILLS CATERPILLARS. Nothing else. If not a caterpillar use a spinosad based product.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
Worms with red pointy tails? ???? Do you mean Hornworm? The tomato hornworm has a reddish pointy thing on its head. Bt ONLY KILLS CATERPILLARS. Nothing else. If not a caterpillar use a spinosad based product.

I never realized it was on its head.... Interesting. This is only my third season planting anything. But both seasons before I'd get those horn worms. . .After a couple weeks of looking for then and picking them off the would be gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Home Depot does carry a spinosad based pesticide, can't recall the brand (Captain Jack?)

Ask a Question