What plants will do well on their own?

Reaction score
I think most green bushes will do well. They're generally pretty hardy and don't require a lot of TLC. Daffodils are a good option, as are cacti -- but cacti don't look right in all yards. It definitely depends.

Reaction score
If it was me I would pick some succulents :) Those basically taken care of themselves, and need almost no effort on your side to do well. I kept a succulent garden at home, haven't really looked after it in the last year and they are doing just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
If you know bird of paradise, it is one good ornamental plant that grows on its own. It is a relative of banana that reproduces by sprouts in the roots. The flower is red or yellow, depending on the specie, that looks like a bird hence the name bird of paradise. It is mostly used in flower arrangements so florists buy them by the volume. A relative has a plantation of that and all they do is harvest since the plant grows on its own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I just bought a house with over an acre of land. I want to start planting some nice ornamental plants, but here's the problem. I wont actually be living there yet. So what plants will do well without regular watering, just with wather rain falls in the area. Or am I better off just waiting?
Well I see you live in Florida in zone 9a. Daffodils will not work, they need a very long deep cold to sleep before spring.
As far as your plants for your area. I frankly have not got a clue. I would go to a local nursery to inquire. And I understand in parts of Florida your soil is different, it may be more sandy. Again a visit to your local nursery is probably a good idea.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought a house with over an acre of land. I want to start planting some nice ornamental plants, but here's the problem. I wont actually be living there yet. So what plants will do well without regular watering, just with wather rain falls in the area. Or am I better off just waiting?
Cactus are great plants that don't require a lot of maintenance at all. Other then that I have aloe vera and orchids in my home which only require watering once a week. Bamboo is a great plant because it is easy to keep alive, you can always put it in a large vase of water to keep in hydrated for a while. Or you can buy one of those waters that you turn upside down in a vase and it occasionally lets a few drops into the soil.

Ask a Question