A set of unknown plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
Hello! :)
Got some plants I can't identify that have been growing in my pots. You guys know any of these weedlings? :p

Plant #1: This one has been growing next to my suffering aloe.

Plant #2: It looks familiar, but I just can't pin the name down.

Plant #3: This one is the biggest of them all.

Plant #4: I've been told this MIGHT be an eggplant in a previous thread. It hasn't grown much since last time because insects have been attacking it during the winter.

Plant #5: Nobody has been able to ID this so far. It looks very interesting though.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 328
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 314
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 319
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
The second one is Caesalpinia pulcherrima. Sometimes called the pride of barbados, not sure what the common name would be in your part of the world
P1010907.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
It looks really nice! :eek:
I'm going to move it to a separate pot, but I'll need to find loamy soil first...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It is a legume (Fabaceae family) and puts nitrogen in the soil. It also has spines when it grows up a little. Here is a photo of the flower
P1010632.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
The flower looks divine. The mystery of plant 2 is solved. Any leads on the other 4?

Forgot to describe plant 1. It has green leaves as you see, but the underside of some leaves is purple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
The second one is beautiful, here it's called a Mexican Bird of Paradise. I've had one in my front yard for a few years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I transplanted it into a separate pot. I think it's going through shock because the moment I dug it out, the leaves seemed to sag suddenly within a minute. Its roots ran deeper than I thought so I might have ripped out one or two deep lateral roots, other than that it's in one piece. I really hope it makes it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
As for #1, i think it may be a Tradescantia. You might look through images of this plant to see if you can make a match.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Are the leaves of #3 hairy? Possibly a Brazilian Verbena. As for the last two, i have not a clue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Well #5 maybe a Rosemary herb that is sun deprived. The problem is the red stem, i have never seen a Rosemary with a red stem...could be a result of sun deprivation. Do the little leaves have any fragrance? If they do, that might tell you something. You would have to rub them between the fingers to see. If it doesn't have a fragrance that doesn't tell you it is not a Rosemary though because it is probably too small to have a fragrance anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
#5 has no smell, but the leaves are finger shaped. If I pulled out out, you wouldn't be able to tell which side is up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Plant #5 Something of Aizoaceae ( Mesembryanthemaceae).
Perhaps one of the kinds of Lampranthus haworthii. It is necessary to see the flowers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
#1 and #5 are as tall as a finger. I think #1 is beginning to flower. #5 has a pinkish/reddish stem.

Ask a Question