Pumpkin fruit set problem

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
this is my second year growing pumpkins and i am realizing that i just may not be cut out for this. i have tried just about everything that can be tried, from fertilizers to hand-pollinating to watering to making sure that the pumpkin is not touching anything and i still cant grow them. The plant itself is HUGE and is growing beautifully, but as soon as the female flower closes, about 3 days later the baby pumpkin will turn soft and die. the ironic thing is, is that it will also shoot out about 2-3 new fruit when the old one dies. please, there must be something that i am not doing. i dont think its a soil problem because a close neighbor has grown pumpkins successfully and other neighbors in my area have grown them successfully as well. last year i had about 6 plants and only got ONE pumpkin. please, i am getting very frustrated and i am ready to destroy them and forget about growing them anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello,
this is my second year growing pumpkins and i am realizing that i just may not be cut out for this. i have tried just about everything that can be tried, from fertilizers to hand-pollinating to watering to making sure that the pumpkin is not touching anything and i still cant grow them. The plant itself is HUGE and is growing beautifully, but as soon as the female flower closes, about 3 days later the baby pumpkin will turn soft and die. the ironic thing is, is that it will also shoot out about 2-3 new fruit when the old one dies. please, there must be something that i am not doing. i dont think its a soil problem because a close neighbor has grown pumpkins successfully and other neighbors in my area have grown them successfully as well. last year i had about 6 plants and only got ONE pumpkin. please, i am getting very frustrated and i am ready to destroy them and forget about growing them anymore.
You say it will "shoot out about 2-3 new fruit." Where are these new fruit found on the plant? From another female flower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, from another female flower, usually on the same vine.
What's happening is the flower is not being pollinated properly. Just because you are hand pollinating doesn't necessarily mean the flower has been pollinated. It may be you are doing it at the wrong time, the humidity may not be right, it could be because of numerous factors. Insects do a much better job than humans do. Just relax and let nature do its thing. Keep the moisture level correct and hope for the correct weather and you will have fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
What zone are you in? I am zone 6. I have done pumpkins last 3 years. We usually don't get the pumpkins formed until late july/early august. Providing your soil is good and water is good, just set back and let nature do its thing.

Ask a Question