A set of unknown plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
#2 looks like a mimosa tree seedling to me.
Could be a mimosa, the leaves are very similar but Mimosa leaves close up either at night or when touched, i can't remember off hand which and the individual leaves are somewhat finer. Still, this is a little one and probably too soon to know for sure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
After I transplanted them, they stayed closed for a day and a half. They're slowing opening right now, half way through. I believe they were in shock. They don't react when I touch or poke them at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
After I transplanted them, they stayed closed for a day and a half. They're slowing opening right now, half way through. I believe they were in shock. They don't react when I touch or poke them at all.
It sounds like your transplant is going to be successful :) Let it recover from the transplant and grow up a bit and we may be better able to give you a more specific ID. Mimosa leaves generally close up at night or during rain storms. It is Mimosa pudica (aka the Sensitive Tree) that has leaves that fold up when touched or exposed to heat. That the leaves folded up for a day and a half would be post-transplant trauma. You might take a look in the evening if the leaves are folding up. It is hard to say now, because some plants have to reach a certain maturity to reveal special features. The spines on the Caesalpinia pulcherrima for example don't show up initially. And if i remember correctly, the leaves don't fold up at night.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I screwed up while watering the Mimosa(?) and dropped the watering can by accident and soaked it this morning. The lower two lower leaf branches turned yellow within a few hours and the leaves closed again. I moved it to a very sunny spot to try the soil up. :oops:
Hopefully the heat next morning dries it up completely.

Also, plant #1 seems to close visibly during the night.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I screwed up while watering the Mimosa

@Klona
Does the pot have a drain hole at the bottom? If not, it must be done. If it is, then you can take a paper towel and put it down under the pot. When the towel becomes wet, it must be replaced by a dry one. This must be done several times. Then the excess moisture will leave the pot. But if you put a weakened plant in the sun, it can kill the plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
@Klona
Does the pot have a drain hole at the bottom? If not, it must be done. If it is, then you can take a paper towel and put it down under the pot. When the towel becomes wet, it must be replaced by a dry one. This must be done several times. Then the excess moisture will leave the pot. But if you put a weakened plant in the sun, it can kill the plant.

Yes, I'm aware about drainage holes. I'm going to try the paper towel technique. Thanks! :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Think Larisa could be correct with the last one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I took a clearer pic of number 4. It has grown a lot since the last time I asked here. Not sure what this thing on the top is. Almost looks like foam? I don't want to touch it, but it looks strangely interesting.
VQmczKq.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I dont know. But the structure of leaves and flowers resembles plants of the type Chenopodium.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Whatever it is, it's an interesting plant!

Ask a Question