What plants will do well on their own?

Reaction score
I just bought a house with over an acre of land. I want to start planting some nice ornamental plants, but here's the problem. I wont actually be living there yet. So what plants will do well without regular watering, just with wather rain falls in the area. Or am I better off just waiting?

Reaction score
Pothos can grow on their own, so can peace lilies, they need very little attention. Aglaonema , diffenbacia, ficus benjamina.. etc.. But all plants will need watering once a week.. if you are not able to do that You may have to wait...
Lets hope someone has some excellent suggestions for you..

Jed

Reaction score
Daffodils. They grow through lawn okay so you can can drill holes in rows or higgledy-piggeldy to plant bulbs. They spread slowly and you end up with a mid to late winter colourful crop. They grow easily under deciduous trees, require little fertiliser only in their first year and they come in many varieties and colours.
These daffodils can be easily sold in bunches placed in buckets to gas stations shops and anyone passing on the street.

m1645826.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is good advice, I was going to say the only thing that doesn't need regular watering is cactus. Good thing Jed and Maddie had some more information.

I think though, that unless you can install some kind of irrigation system with a timer, you might be better off waiting. You could use the time to condition and prepare the soil for your future growing.

I may have to get some daffodils myself. Low maintenance is always good, and winter flowers are a plus.

Reaction score
Love, love the daffodil idea. Once we get settled in (once again), I think I will try to do that. However, I'll be living in Las Vegas or Phoenix (wherever the job transfer sends us), so I'll have to keep that in mind. I have all these big dreams of things I want to plant. Mostly food crops, but flowers would be real nice too.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was also going to suggest cacti. They do not require much attention and will do well while you are away. They can also be used as a ground covering.

dim

Reaction score
the problem with daffodils planted in the lawn, is that after it has flowered, you have to leave them there for several weeks before cutting the dying/dead leaves, .... as if you don't, they won't flower the following year

so, I always avoid planting daffs in lawns (I like a nice manicured green lush lawn)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I heard about a plant recently that you may want to try. It was being discussed on a gardening segment on my local news one morning and after I looked it up I realized I had seen it all over and just never known what it's called. Here's a photo and a link to an article about the plant that is considered almost indestructible:

http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/pow/cast-iron_plant.htm
cast%20iron.jpg

Reaction score
I heard about a plant recently that you may want to try. It was being discussed on a gardening segment on my local news one morning and after I looked it up I realized I had seen it all over and just never known what it's called. Here's a photo and a link to an article about the plant that is considered almost indestructible:

http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/pow/cast-iron_plant.htm
cast%20iron.jpg

This would be a great house plant for those who have black thumbs. I have been searching for this plant locally ( this plant is of a Japanese origin) but it does not seem to be available here. It is a great plant for areas with low light.. if planted outside you may have to plant it in the shade as light leaches out its color.
I have a couple of friends who could try their skills on this plant.. if it survives their treatment.. it can survive anything lol :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
. It is a great plant for areas with low light.. if planted outside you may have to plant it in the shade as light leaches out its color.

I hadn't thought about that, Maddie. Most of the time I see this plant used as a border along fences or around the base of a massive oak tree. It's very attractive; I wouldn't mind having a row of these planted in front my home close to the house/porch. I love the idea of them being low maintenance and they seem to work really well with the climate here.

Reaction score
Chanell, I think it would work well under the oaks. Yes, it is low maintenance and flourishes in anyplace. I would love have this plant in one corner of our house that needs a little brightening up. I think this plant nicknamed the iron plant works well anywhere. This would be a great plant to get someone started on gardening :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell, I think it would work well under the oaks.

It certainly seems to thrive here where it's planted under them. I'll have to keep an eye out and take some pictures to share :)
We have a Japanese magnolia in the back yard and after it flowers it fills up with leaves again creating a large shady patch of area. This is good because it keeps that part of the yard cool during the middle part of the day.

Reaction score
You should post a picture of those cast iron plants. I wish I could get a few of them for myself. LOL :) I love magnolias. Do the Japanese magnolias smell as heavenly as the other magnolias?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
They have a "heavy" perfume, but you have to be close by to smell it. They aren't like jasmine or sweet olive which will have you looking around trying to figure out where the scent is coming from. They are very lovely to look at though; the leaves fall off the tree when it starts budding. By the time it blooms it's completely covered in flowers.

Reaction score
Is it a place that you will be able to visit and tend to once in a while? I think that if you can get to the property or have a neighbor tend it you could get a great start on the yard you plan to have there. Congrats on the new place!

Ask a Question