What is your view?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! I can't imagine what it's like to live so close to an active volcano Beverly but I suppose to a certain extent you are used to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Sheal there are people who live much closer to the volcano than i am and their families have lived in these small communities for generations. It is a way of life for them, just like snow in January is a way of life for people in Maine. They are not afraid of or bothered by the volcano. I am at the faldas (skirts) of the mountain and i knew about the volcano and considered it a bonus. I love this amazing planet and am fascinated by it as well. So being this close to an active and explosive volcano is appealing to me. I have been here 10 years and was disappointed for the first several years that the mountain was quiet, although during that time i was able to explore the higher regions that are off limits now. The power of mother nature is not to be underestimated. But, like me, the people who live here love this mountain and the people who don't move away, but i have no plans to move. :) I think you should be worried about your Loch Ness monster, though...i wouldn't go swimming in there if i were you.:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Fascinating @Beverly! (y)

I think you should be worried about your Loch Ness monster, though...i wouldn't go swimming in there if i were you

Oh, Nessie is a 'pussy cat' really, ;) I'd be more worried about freezing to death in the water, three minutes and my feet are numb whatever the time of year. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A series of five locks on a canal.

View attachment 16417

The remains of Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness, Scotland dating from the 13th century.

View attachment 16419

I've driven (or rode the bus) past Urquhart Castle dozens of times. ;) Lived near Inverness for a year in the late 60s, then lived on Skye from 72-76, then Glasgow until 79, either bussing or hitch hiking back up to Skye where I still have family.

I've traveled to many places, and still think the Highlands and Islands are the most beautiful. You live in a GORGEOUS part of the world!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Sheal Well i've never heard Nessie being accused of aggression toward people. I'm sure it would have made the papers, we also know that he is very shy and retiring and so nothing to fear. He (if he IS indeed a he) probably is a vegetarian as well, with the exception of fish i am assuming. Today, with the exception of one eruption in the early morning hours, the Volcano is sleeping like a baby, probably exhausted.:)

I am interested in the lush green vegetation around the Castle, it doesn't look like grass, is it a form of moss?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Sheal This is a wonderful place! It is a pity that we could not see what was the majestic castle in the old days.
@Beverly Volcano looks fantastic! For some reason I always thought that it is dangerous - to live near the volcano. Now I think it's interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)@Larisa I don't want to give a false impression about the volcano. For sure they can kill you, but so can crossing the street, and one does not want to be reckless around them, or crossing the street :rolleyes:. They do give us magnificent displays of the raw power of nature and the beauty associated with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've traveled to many places, and still think the Highlands and Islands are the most beautiful. You live in a GORGEOUS part of the world

Thank you @Beth_B . :) The Highlands aren't to everyone's taste but there's definitely something that makes them special, possibly the history which I love.

I am interested in the lush green vegetation around the Castle, it doesn't look like grass, is it a form of moss?

It is grass @Beverly . You had me thinking there for a moment so I zoomed in on some of my other pics to check. We get a good amount of rain in Britain which keeps nature very green. I'm glad to hear your volcano is resting for the time being, does it disturb your sleep at night?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It is a pity that we could not see what was the majestic castle in the old days.

These old pictures may give you an idea as to how it looked back then @Larisa . :)

upload_2017-1-28_21-2-27.png

upload_2017-1-28_20-41-24.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What fantastic photos @Bootsy! (y) I'm certainly glad we've not had that much snow in the UK this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks @Becky We've only had half an inch of snow this year but it's usually February when we get it. We rarely get any in March but occasionally get some in April.

In 1962 it started snowing on December 10th, continued through January and February. thawed a bit during March but hung around until May. May turned out OK but it snowed again at the beginning of June :eek:

Although this is more typical of June (part of our front garden)

P1170313.JPG

P1170316.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Bootsy So beautiful! In any season!

@Beverly Do you have an evacuation plan if the volcano would erupt much? It can happen suddenly?

@Sheal
Thank you for the pictures!
At the same time I read the history of the castle. It is a pity that it was destroyed.

Sorry, we have no such ancient buildings. We are all built of wood. However, there are "places of power", marked by the ancient stones.
ч.jpg

чч.jpg

Golosov-ovrag-05.jpg

This ravine Veles, ancient Slavic god. It is located in one of the Moscow parks. It is a mystical place, which quickly discharged mobile phones. It is assumed here that there is portal in another time. There are many historical documents about the disappearance of people and the emergence of "strange people".

In 1621, near the ravine suddenly appeared horse detachment of Tatars. Surprisingly - because the Tatars were not here since 1571, after the victory of Russian troops. The detachment was captured. The king ordered a questioning. Frightened Tatars admitted that they hid in a ravine. But there was a thick green mist. They just came out of the fog and were shocked that there have passed 50 years.

In 1810, two peasants were returning late at night from the village to the village of Djakovo to home to the village Sadovniki. They walked across a ravine Veles. Suddenly they saw a thick fog. they went through the mist. When they came home, they learned everything with great difficulty. They were missing for 21 years.
So here you have to be careful.:);)

Ask a Question