What is your view?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I thought it might be fun to have a thread showing each other pictures from our part of the world. We have pictures of pets, and plants, and animals in the garden, how about one for local scenery?

Ohio is a landlocked state; I can't drive 300 miles and see an ocean at sunset. (Or sunrise, for that matter.) We don't have sand and cactus. We don't have rocky cliffs and mountains. We don't even have any buildings that are over 200 years old!!

While I realize I can search the web and look at all the scenery I want ... those pictures are posted by strangers.!! .. I'd rather look at pictures from strangers I know. o_O :ROFLMAO:

Be my tour guide!

I'll show you a few... These are taken from the Ohio Caverns. The caverns were discovered in 1897, but it was many years before it was excavated. If you are ever in Ohio, this is definitely worth the price of admission!

This picture is from a part of the cavern called Fantasy Land. The picture is of a formation known as The Old Town Pump.

0923151716pump.jpg

This picture is of The Crystal King, it measures at just under 5 feet (1.486 m) long, is estimated to weigh over 400 pounds (180 kg) and be over 200,000 years old. (Looks like a big carrot! :ROFLMAO: )

0923151717king.jpg

This is a picture of a Dual Formation, found in a part of the cave known as The Palace of the Gods. There are only 4 known caves in the world with Dual Formations, and this is the only one in North America. These are calcite stalactites growing on the ends of iron oxide formations.

Double Formation.jpg

Your turn!! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Mary, I was there many years ago! My boyfriend (now husband of over 40 years) thought I'd like to see caverns. He didn't know I have an irrational fear of being underground. I toughed it out--a measure of how much I liked him--and haven't been underground since!
Here is a view of our back pasture and pond. Not terribly scenic, but we love the view.
Mist 2.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Love a good cave Mary :)

A few shots from around here...

If you've ever seen The French Lieutentant's Woman, this will look familiar.

Brixham Harbour..

View from my old loo window on the Somerset levels..

Cliff at Burton Bradstock (few minutes away) The Soldiers practiced for the D Day landings here.

DSCN2505.JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@marlingardener, :LOL: did you ever confess to him about your fear? Our tour guide made sure she told us how safe we were in there. From what she said, that rock is so sturdy, you're actually safer in the cave if there were an earthquake than you would be above ground! I'm more bothered by heights but I'll tough those out, because the view is always spectacular. (y)

@zigs, if we get lucky, maybe someone from Kentucky will post pics of Mammoth Caves, or a poster from New Mexico will show us Carlsbad Caverns. ;) I love caves, myself. If nothing else, I'll take a little trip up to Olentangy Indian Caverns, and post pics of that for you! :D (Beautiful pictures, by the way!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, I did eventually confess to my totally idiotic fear of caverns and caves when we were snorkeling in the Caribbean and there was a cave everyone was swimming into, except me. My husband asked why I was lagging behind, and I told him that if I swam into the cave he'd have to drag my unconscious body out of it--I was terrified! Bless him, he didn't laugh or make light of my silly fear, but just swam in and gave me a report of what he'd seen!
Here is another view from my kitchen window (how local can you get?):
back path in bloom.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing to be ashamed about being scared of caves, I don't like heights, guess that's how I ended up working on churches :rolleyes:

This is a view of the Chesil beach taken from the church on Portland that I was working on.

and this is looking straight down :eek:

This is looking out of my window :)
DSCI0540.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, if I looked straight down from that height and saw gravestones, I'd probably add to the number of graves. You are brave, but for pity's sakes, be careful!
The view out your window is lovely--very serene and green.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
marlingardener, the view out of your window is very pretty! I like the bushes on the bottom left with the little orange flowers!! (y)

zigs, be careful!! I was a little unnerved realizing that you were up the height of the two BIG red ladders, until I realized that that little black dot was :eek: a person on the sidewalk!! :eek:

Here is a picture from Indian Lake State Park. (Not too local, but less than 100 miles... :ROFLMAO:)

0712022100a2.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm more than careful when i'm working at heights MG & Mary:) Don't want to go dying of death anytime soon.

Another view of the field taken from the veg plot, it's about a mile to the sea from here.
DSCI0580.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, thank you! That plant with the little orange flowers is Mexican Honeysuckle (it isn't particularly Mexican, and it definitely isn't Honeysuckle). It is hard to get established, but once it settles in it blooms most of the late spring right into fall. Hummingbirds dearly love it, as do butterflies.
The state park is beautiful--a calm lake is always "eye-candy"!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Beverly, in the November Photo of the Month - Voting Time! thread, you said:

Beverly said:
i have so many favorites but the photo i would like to jump into is MaryMary's creek. Every time i see it i want to walk right down the middle of that creek from top to bottom and beyond, it is so inviting and i just love it.:love:
I promised to post a picture thread of the creek, :oops: and then got I busy and forgot. Instead of starting a new thread, I decided to bump this one, since this is part of my local scenery. :D

The picture you love:

1016161649a.jpg

I walked down the bank to take that picture next to a big old Sycamore tree that had fallen in the creek. I thought it was beautiful.

1016161647.jpg

I went back to the creek and got a few more pictures, since you wanted to walk right down the middle of the creek. :D

;) For the full effect, you must now stick your feet in a bucket of ice water!

It had rained a lot, and I couldn't walk down by the Sycamore tree. :(

It had also been cold, and I was able to walk out on the part that I took the picture of before.

1030161534yNew.jpg

And from there I turned around, so I could show you the Sycamore. :)

1030161531ahind.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the mini-tour!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Gee whiz @MaryMary I only now discovered this thread. I don't know how i could have missed it. I didn't go back and "like" anything because i would have had to "like" everything. What a super thread and what beautiful contributions. The thread, i see, started in the middle of June. Certainly i would have participated if i had not been otherwise occupied pretty much all of July and August. Thank you for the photos of your creek that i loved so much and props for starting such a super thread. It looks like @DeborahJane missed it too...she lives in such a beautiful part of the world. It is looking at photos like the ones here that reminds me just how much i love this planet and how much beauty there is everywhere despite of how badly we (we as in the human race in general) have treated it. (y)(y)(y)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Beverly, you and @DeborahJane and anyone else are more than welcome to participate and post new photos!! There are millions of places in the world I haven't seen yet. ;) Billions of pretty things to look at! :love:

Until I win the lottery, I'm going to have to travel the world via the internet. :whistle:

But only 'til I win the lottery... :rolleyes:

Ask a Question