What is your view?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I will not show all the inhabitants of the seas and rivers, but these guys really liked me! :D

20180718_150952.jpg

20180718_151019.jpg

20180718_151100.jpg

20180718_151111.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh wow, the Vostok rocket sure is impressive! I'd love to see it one day :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tonight was "Venetian Night" at the marina on Lake Michigan. People decorated their boats and the best design won a free slip at the marina for a year. I believe the theme this year was "locations". I enjoyed the France-themed and Brazil-themed boats the most. I'm sure one of them won. There weren't very many boats, unfortunately. I remember going as a kid years ago and it seemed like it used to be a bigger event. I think they even used to have fireworks. It's too bad, because it could be a pretty cool event if there was more going on. The boats were parading around the marina and past a restaurant or two, then headed toward the river and circled back a few times. Regardless, it was a nice, warm, summer evening at the marina.

IMG_1292 copy.jpg

IMG_1308 copy.jpg

IMG_1310 copy.jpg

IMG_1313 copy.jpg

IMG_1317 copy.jpg

IMG_1330 copy.jpg

IMG_1342 copy1.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here was my view today. Went to a shoreline restoration along Lake Michigan. The site is a registered Monarch Waystation. There were quite a few Monarchs there. Tons of pollinators in general, as well as ducks, fish, and a mink. This place was created only a few years ago and had some gardens install just a couple months ago. I'm really enjoying it. What they've done here should be done up and down the entire shoreline.

IMG_2689 copy.jpg

IMG_2707 copy.jpg

IMG_2720 copy.jpg

IMG_2723 copy.jpg

IMG_2691 copy.jpg

IMG_2698 copy.jpg

IMG_2695 copy.jpg

IMG_2692 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What a beautiful view @JBtheExplorer! This may sound daft, but I had no idea how big Lake Michigan was :oops: Your photos look like you're at the coast! Just been reading about it and checking out Google Maps (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Now, that is what i like to see:) Do you know how much territory it covers? Is it the first one on Lake Michigan? There are several such wetland preservation sites in Washington and Oregon states that have been wildly successful. I think the South Slough Estuarine Sanctuary in Oregon was the first (started many years ago) and it keeps growing in territory...a bonanza of wild life.:love:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your photos look like you're at the coast!

That's a good way to describe it. Not much of a difference visually (I assume). Lake Michigan is known for being more dangerous than the other Great Lakes, and I believe I've read that it's more dangerous than oceans, at least in terms of swimming. We have a lot of rip currents. If people aren't aware of the conditions, they can get pulled out with no way of getting back to shore. Two people just lost their lives north of here a few days ago. One of them hasn't been found. They were at a state park I visit, pictured below on a calm day.

IMG_3986 copy.jpg

Here are some other photos I've taken along Lake Michigan.

IMG_3935 copy.jpg

IMG_4308 copy.jpg

IMG_8089 copy.jpg

IMG_8039_2 copy.jpg

IMG_4852 copy1.jpg

IMG_4934 copy1.jpg

IMG_5091 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Now, that is what i like to see:) Do you know how much territory it covers? Is it the first one on Lake Michigan? There are several such wetland preservation sites in Washington and Oregon states that have been wildly successful. I think the South Slough Estuarine Sanctuary in Oregon was the first (started many years ago) and it keeps growing in territory...a bonanza of wild life.:love:

Unfortunately, Myers park is a very small area. This area was a dirty, unused area. I believe it was once used as a boat launch. Water quality was horrible, and that's putting it lightly. The area was overrun with weeds. The first photo with the bridge shows about 50% of it. Not large enough to provide for a large population of wildlife, but certainly a place where migrating birds can now stop and rest, as well as pollinators and small mammals like the mink I saw yesterday. I believe the potential is there to expand. In the image below, you can see Myers park circled in green. The area in yellow is an unused mowed strip. It serves no purpose. There's also another unused strip just south of that. If those areas were restored to habitat, that would extend the habitat to over a mile of shoreline.

hgjghf.jpg

I am sure it isn't the first Lake Michigan shoreline restoration. Maybe one of the first for Wisconsin, though. I'm sure Michigan takes better care of their side than we do, but this is a small step in the right direction. Some changes have been made over recent years to improve water quality in our area. Our beach is far healthier now than it was in the 90's. It's been certified as a "Blue Wave" beach for fourteen years now. "the Blue Wave program was the country's first national environmental certification for beaches."

Still, I feel that there is so much more that can and should be done. Some people in positions of power don't yet understand the importance of investing in a healthy shoreline and watersheds, although I think that attitude is slowly beginning to change. We also have organizations that want to do more, but simply don't have the money to do more than a little at a time. I think we need our large businesses to invest more in the community, but we also need all businesses to use native plants and smart landscaping around their properties.

Ask a Question