What is your favorite vegetable to grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Silver Queen in the pic. I also grew quite a bit of Stowell's Evergreen
The soil here is alkaline. I haven't tried SQ. I have been growing Bodacious as it does well. My plants rarely go over 6 feet and average about 1 1/2 ears per plant. I have been thinking about some other variety but with this type of soil I am reluctant to fix what works. What type soil do you have

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lg. Garden 3.jpg Sm. Garden 1.jpg The first picture is of one of our large vegetable gardens. The other looks pretty much the same, but with different vegetables. The second picture is the seasonal garden.
I really can't pick any one vegetable--I love anything that is producing in the garden! I am particularly fond of green beans, and my husband loves corn. When we have plenty of corn and I freeze some, the hens get the cobs and entertain themselves for hours!
Please, what is callaloo? Kammy posted about it, and I've never heard of callaloo.
We have an asparagus patch, also. Oh, I forgot to mention asparagus as a favorite!

Attachments

• Lg. Garden 2.jpg
    Lg. Garden 2.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 408
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like to grow green beans, cucumbers, tomato, and green peppers! These are the only vegetables that seem to do well in the area I have here. I love watching them grow but usually I don't get to eat them. Stray cats, squirrels, and wild rabbits got to them before I do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like growing snow peas and zucchini. They're relatively easy and fun to grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Marlingardener, your vegetable garden looks wonderful!:D
As for asparagus, I love eating it, but I'm not patient enough to grow it;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Tomatoes.... It is my favorite fruit and easy to grow. That and I am originally from South East Georgia USA.... I think we are suppose to grow tomatoes.... well according to Steele Magnolia's we are. LMAO

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Tomatoes here, too. They are one of my favorite foods...when fresh...not the cardboard flavored ones from the supermarket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tomatoes here, too. They are one of my favorite foods...when fresh...not the cardboard flavored ones from the supermarket.
At this time of year I would relish even the taste of cardboard. The tomatoes here are just hard and green even they are red and have no taste at all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We used to be able to get decent tomatoes in the supermarket, but now they refrigerate everything...and, we all know, once you refrigerate a tomato you have doomed it to the cardboard tasting heap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We used to be able to get decent tomatoes in the supermarket, but now they refrigerate everything...and, we all know, once you refrigerate a tomato you have doomed it to the cardboard tasting heap.
Did you know that most tomatoes are picked while they are semi-green and then they are run through a gas house on a conveyor belt to make them red? Then they are refridgerated until put out on the grocery shelves. Ever wondered why they are so firm and yet so red? That's why

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, I knew that. It's ashame that folks who don't grow their own tomatoes have no idea how good a fresh tomato tastes.

Ask a Question