What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, BRP. When do I cut the tops off?
I planted another row of corn and set 10 tomato cages. It felt good to finally get all my corn starts in the ground.
We have big weather headed my way. Hope no hail or tornados.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
So I can have Green Onions year round and make my others bigger.

big rockpile
So, cutting the tops off onions supposedly makes them bigger?

Been growing big onions for over 40 years up to 6-inch diameter, many over 2 pounds every year, one monster even weighed over 4 pounds and never heard that one, nor actually cut them before.

Learn something every day... o_O

p.s. Just curious...how many, on average, 6-inch bulb diameter onions do you grow each year? Or are they larger than 6-inch with the tops cut?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve never cut the tops, except to harvest some green for a salad. They are edible.
We had huge storms here last night. Tornados and high winds tore up some of the large oaks on my property, but we are okay. Hope you are also.
I’ll have some clean up during the week. The house and shop are all good. Strangely, the garden seems to have been protected from any major damage.

Stay safe out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
sprayed squashes with dish soap/neem and baking soda for 1st time. Will continue to do so every 2 weeks as preventive against PM.

transplanting Amish Paste tomatoes into the ground and into containers.

tossing 3 compost piles.

mowing lawn and starting another compost pile.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I spoke too soon! The storms last night washed all my rows out. The onions are exposed and laid over. My corn is laid over and my squash ,which wasn’t doing that great, are laid over and wilted.
I’ll replant anything that doesn’t make it , later in the week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've had this acer in our tiny front garden for nearly forty years, Every winter I prune six inches and more off it, all the way round otherwise it'd be almost twice the size. It's as tall as the eaves of our house.
But it never disappoints, the leaves start off pink, changing to light green, then darker green later in the year. It always has blossom, but it's pale green, so hard to see when it comes.

P1010810.JPG

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
The compost height when I began in December of '23 was 6'. It reduced to around 4' when completed. This is how much compost has gone into my small garden.

Here are two bags I filled this morning in about half an hour using a 1/4" screen. The remnants of the screening will be used to make compost tea and to feed my worms.

Will be using this compost for my summer vegetables along with more worm castings.

Those interested can follow the progress of my small garden here;

Attachments

• IMG_6560.JPG
    IMG_6560.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6569.JPG
    IMG_6569.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6570.JPG
    IMG_6570.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6571.JPG
    IMG_6571.JPG
    274.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6572.JPG
    IMG_6572.JPG
    380.7 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United States
Big storms here in Ok. Blew down many limbs from my oak trees. Washed rows of corn and onions down to bare roots.
I'll have to get the tractor out to move many of the limbs. Fire up the chainsaw for Camping firewood.

Do they have tornados in other parts of the world? Here in the U S A we get tornados that destroy complete towns. Sulphur, Oklahoma got hit pretty bad. Killed two and wiped the down town off the earth. GONE!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cut my yard today, but my mulching blades are awful. I just ordered a new set. Once they arrive, I'll put them on my tractor and bring the old ones to John Deere to see if they can be sharpened. They haven't been cutting the grass; they've been bludgeoning it.

I got all four raised beds in the back 40 prepared for planting. The three raised beds near the house are going to be relocated to the back as well. We still aren't sure what we want to plant, but we also still have some very cool nights, so it's hard to just pull the trigger and start planting. Plus, my chickens can get into the raised beds at the moment, so they'd clean everything right out. I need to build some adequate covers for the beds without impeding the sunlight and rain. I think I may resort to some really tiny 1/4"x1/4" wire mesh.
Garden cloth to control weeds. Lets water in , keeps weeds out .just torch a hole and plant.

Ask a Question