What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've already had an offer of a "trade" from a poster in Michigan on a USA gardening message board. They want to know if I'll swop the hedgehogs for this.

2614e2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I had a tough 2 weeks with severe weather here in TX at the same time as multiple trips to the hospital.

Fortunately, no major harm done despite tornadoes in E TX. A large oak tree next door to me fell over and temporarily blocked our street, until my neighbor who is a young, strong electrical worker, got a chainsaw and chopped it up to clear the road.

The same storm brought hail & some flash floods which did cause a significant amount of drowned & damaged plants in my garden. When the water cleared, I had a lot of debris removal to do: mainly pine needles, twigs, pine cones, and drowned seedlings all needing to be raked and put in the compost heap,

After that, I was somewhat demoralized and also had to get my taxes filed, so the garden wasn't a high priority. Got my taxes done today, and got out into the garden to water. Some of the potted plants are blooming and looking very nice, since we brought them indoors during the bad storm.

A large, pink and orange flowered moth orchid (Phalaenopsis) plant that I've been growing since 2017 is starting to bloom in the dining room window. It lives in that location, & blooms almost every year.

I'm scheduled for surgery on 4/17. If/when I get the energy to post some recent photos of my plants, I will do so.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a tough 2 weeks with severe weather here in TX at the same time as multiple trips to the hospital.

Fortunately, no major harm done despite tornadoes in E TX. A large oak tree next door to me fell over and temporarily blocked our street, until my neighbor who is a young, strong electrical worker, got a chainsaw and chopped it up to clear the road.

The same storm brought hail & some flash floods which did cause a significant amount of drowned & damaged plants in my garden. When the water cleared, I had a lot of debris removal to do: mainly pine needles, twigs, pine cones, and drowned seedlings all needing to be raked and put in the compost heap,

After that, I was somewhat demoralized and also had to get my taxes filed, so the garden wasn't a high priority. Got my taxes done today, and got out into the garden to water. Some of the potted plants are blooming and looking very nice, since we brought them indoors during the bad storm.

A large, pink and orange flowered moth orchid (Phalaenopsis) plant that I've been growing since 2017 is starting to bloom in the dining room window. It lives in that location, & blooms almost every year.

I'm scheduled for surgery on 4/17. If/when I get the energy to post some recent photos of my plants, I will do so.
I hope everything goes well. Spring storms in Texas are tough. Remember 1 There are better days ahead that make it worth the effort.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've hardly done anything in the garden for a week. It's been left to its own devices and has managed quite well without me.
Quite a bit going on in this corner.
The Amber clematis on the fence is rampant, the two bare root David Austin roses I bought a month ago in their square pots in the wooden trough are doing well and the Acer Palmatrum Taylor I put in the garage over winter has survived another year.

P1010751.JPG

The other acers are now in full leaf, they'll need a bit of "fettling" to conform to the symmetrical look I like, but I'll leave that for a week or two.

P1010753.JPG

P1010754.JPG

P1010760.JPG

All the wisterias are doing well, though we lost a few blooms in the wind. Also the wood pigeons confuse them with ears of corn or what have you and peck a few off.

P1010756.JPG

P1010755.JPG

But there's still hundreds.

P1010757.JPG

P1010758.JPG

P1010759.JPG

All the old favourite azaleas and rhodos will put on a good display this year.

P1010761.JPG

P1010752.JPG

There's been some recovery of the "dead" clematis I put on the shed window sill, three definite and one possible, but they're very slow.

P1010762.JPG

The front garden more or less looks after itself. The big acer's foliage will be as abundant as ever, despite the all round prune I give it each winter to contain its size.
The azaleas too get pruned back a bit, (with garden shears) and there's the usual amount of flower buds on them. The rhodo in the middle is coming into bloom.
P1010750.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
I thought I'd start a new thread that can be continuously updated by everyone any day of the year. We have people on the forum from all around the world, so there is always somebody doing something with their garden. I think it would be nice to check in and see what our members have done. So whether you've been busy today or busy three months from today, here's the question... What did you do in your garden today?

I spent today preparing my vegetable garden. I had tons of weeds to pull. There's some kind of invasive grass that pops up in there, along with creeping charlie, so I pulled as much as I could find. I can start planting in about four weeks, so it's nice to have it all ready for the season! If I remember right, peas seeds can be planted before the average last frost date, so I might plant them soon. As some of you may know, growing fruits and vegetables is only a small hobby for me. I'm not into it as much as other forum members. I grow peas for my pond fish, as well as couple of tomato plants, pumpkins for decoration, strawberries, a blueberry bush, and a peach tree. I'm also trying lettuce this year. Tomorrow, I may add a few native plants to the outside edges of my vegetable garden so it looks a little more showy throughout the season.

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
I thought I'd start a new thread that can be continuously updated by everyone any day of the year. We have people on the forum from all around the world, so there is always somebody doing something with their garden. I think it would be nice to check in and see what our members have done. So whether you've been busy today or busy three months from today, here's the question... What did you do in your garden today?

I spent today preparing my vegetable garden. I had tons of weeds to pull. There's some kind of invasive grass that pops up in there, along with creeping charlie, so I pulled as much as I could find. I can start planting in about four weeks, so it's nice to have it all ready for the season! If I remember right, peas seeds can be planted before the average last frost date, so I might plant them soon. As some of you may know, growing fruits and vegetables is only a small hobby for me. I'm not into it as much as other forum members. I grow peas for my pond fish, as well as couple of tomato plants, pumpkins for decoration, strawberries, a blueberry bush, and a peach tree. I'm also trying lettuce this year. Tomorrow, I may add a few native plants to the outside edges of my vegetable garden so it looks a little more showy throughout the season.
I re poted my rose tree❤️❤️

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...Fortunately, no major harm done despite tornadoes in E TX.
Yes, we are accustomed to spring storms here in East Texas. My rain gauge overflowed during this one at 5 inches in the middle of the storm...so I expect we got something like 8 inches or so total.

Those rainstorms are why raised rows in the garden here are an absolute necessity. 10-inch rains and I've worked in the garden the next day.

Corn is especially vulnerable to spring storms and fortunately mine isn't high enough just yet to be blown over by the winds, but frog strangling rain is not a problem. I just thinned out the new germinated corn today to about 8-10 inch spacing. Also, planted a second crop of corn on down the rows.

raised rows.JPG

Most of the remaining parts of the garden have dried out and ready for the next round of rains.
spring 2024.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, we are accustomed to spring storms here in East Texas. My rain gauge overflowed during this one at 5 inches in the middle of the storm...so I expect we got something like 8 inches or so total.

Those rainstorms are why raised rows in the garden here are an absolute necessity. 10-inch rains and I've worked in the garden the next day.

Corn is especially vulnerable to spring storms and fortunately mine isn't high enough just yet to be blown over by the winds, but frog strangling rain is not a problem. I just thinned out the new germinated corn today to about 8-10 inch spacing. Also, planted a second crop of corn on down the rows.

View attachment 102727

Most of the remaining parts of the garden have dried out and ready for the next round of rains.
View attachment 102728
Your onions look like they have a great start.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've had super high winds for the last month! My plants that are in the ground are almost beat to death. Wind let up for today so I planted 3 'Big boy ' tomatoes. My corn isn't coming up yet But I have 36 'starts in a tray and will plant those when the weather settles some. I have 6 Gherkins cucumbers, 6 cantaloupe, and 6 yellow squash to plant , but they're young things and cannot leave their sheltered place in the shop.
I'm trying a different approach this year. I laid down black garden cloth to help control weeds. Mulch over cardboard seems to get knocked around as I shuffle around in the garden, but it does work.

sugarapsa

Zone 7b
Reaction score
Country
United States
Planted tomatoes in each of the 3 wine barrels and built cages for each. Also made wicking buckets for peppers. I decided on this design after looking at several. Seems it suits me best given a larger water reservoir than most.

Attachments

• IMG_6396.JPG
    IMG_6396.JPG
    430.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6386.JPG
    IMG_6386.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6387.JPG
    IMG_6387.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6388.JPG
    IMG_6388.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6420.JPG
    IMG_6420.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6426.JPG
    IMG_6426.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Today, I spent some time tending to my plants. Recently, I had some plumbing issues in my garden, and dial one sonshine customer service came to the rescue. Their team was professional, efficient, and incredibly knowledgeable. They quickly identified the problem and provided a solution that exceeded my expectations.

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Started my trellis after planting four rows of Tennessee volunteer half runners .
I'm probably starting to early but this beautiful weather makes it hard not to plant . We still have BlackBerry winter to come yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20240417_181047541.jpg
    IMG_20240417_181047541.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 3

Ask a Question