What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm up to date with garden. I've mowed the lawns.

P1010727.JPG

The re-painted pot movers are back in position on the "rose patio."

P1010728.JPG

The only "big job" is to get into the rockery (again) and dig the grass out of the phlox. It's a pain, as it's a "hands and knees job." But not today.

A lot of hedgehog activity last night, between 9.00pm and 5.00am.
There's at least two that visit. I could hear some "off camera snuffling" on one clip. They come for the food I leave out, which only they can access, but it doesn't stop the cat from watching.

IMAG0001.JPG

We've two unoccupied hedgehog houses, that have been used in the past, but I think the constant attention of a neighbour's cat put them off.

Bye!

IMAG0043.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Too wet for golf or gardening, even the hedgehog didn't bother to pay us a visit as it's rained on and off for the last twenty-four hours.

I did spray the pot movers in the garage, I'll give them another coat tomorrow.

I'm pleased that the grass seed under this acer palmatum has taken, some of the original grass seems to be thriving too.
Lots of catkins from next door's tree on the lawn, they'll get taken up when I next mow it...if ever.

View attachment 102588
Gorgeous Japanese Maple. 😊

Reaction score
Country
United States
This wasn't gardening but was a job outside that needed attention.
The slates on our roof are rough finish concrete, so attract moss on two sides.
This eventually starts blocking the gutters and they will overflow.
This is the worst side and when blocked the water will overflow onto the flat roof extension of our lounge. I won't let the window cleaner go on it as I'm concerned the felt might get damaged. I don't like being on it, as the felt is twenty years old now, but needs must.
A case of putting one extending ladder up to the flat roof and a second one up to the eaves but standing on a large sturdy plastic bread tray.

View attachment 102612

Fortunately, the pergola easily takes my weight so not hard to get up there, with a bucket, trowel and hose, as I can stand on the crossbeams.

View attachment 102613

This side was a different matter. This as Peter Kay might say needed, "the big ladders." These must be sixty years old, I inherited them from a neighbour who died ten years ago. They are solid hard wood so a bit springy, but I'm used to them.

My wife says, as I'm 84 this month, I should "get a man in." I would if I could find one, but then I wouldn't want them going on the flat roof. Anyway, the job's done now.

View attachment 102614

I gave the pot movers a second coat. They can go out tomorrow.
I'm just going to give the roses a spray of Sulphur Rose this afternoon.

It looks like it will be dry tomorrow, so I'll cut the lawn.
Why do you Brits insist upon having things growing against the house?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Todays plan- Get broccoli / Cauliflower out of house and into the ground.
Plant the rest of Walla Walla onions
Kill or remove a rabbit that has been taking more than his share of lettuces
Transplant amish paste toms into bugger containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Cut my yard today, but my mulching blades are awful. I just ordered a new set. Once they arrive, I'll put them on my tractor and bring the old ones to John Deere to see if they can be sharpened. They haven't been cutting the grass; they've been bludgeoning it.

I got all four raised beds in the back 40 prepared for planting. The three raised beds near the house are going to be relocated to the back as well. We still aren't sure what we want to plant, but we also still have some very cool nights, so it's hard to just pull the trigger and start planting. Plus, my chickens can get into the raised beds at the moment, so they'd clean everything right out. I need to build some adequate covers for the beds without impeding the sunlight and rain. I think I may resort to some really tiny 1/4"x1/4" wire mesh.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well put the Shade Cloth on the Greenhouse.

I'm still learning. Found a good many of my plants like shade so I moved some to the shade.

Watered and Sprayed. Sprayed the Lawn with Neem, we shall see.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today I spread rolls of weed resistant black cloth in the veggie garden , stapled it down and spread mulch between the raised beds.
Wind was blowing 30 mph and didn't want to plant the tender new plants. Will hold off until this wind subsides. mowed my two acre lawn and weed eated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Not doing much today as I've other things that need my attention.
The warmer weather has brought more activity to the garden during the night.

"If I can't come in, you're not getting out!"

IMAG0021.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question