United States
First red hibiscus after an unexpected hail episode:
IMG_20240406_154502405_HDR~2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Very strong winds last night plus a lot of rain. Had a check round this morning. Fortunately, no fence panel damage. This can happen if what some people grow along their fences and attach it to the panels, rather than the concrete posts. The wind can catch bushy foliage and that can drag the panel out of its slots in the posts.

The "bamboo forest" has several support wires strung between the end posts.
A couple of wires had come adrift but were easy to fix.

P1010716.JPG

The wind was a reminder for me to sort out the roses' pot movers. Once the foliage gets a bit thicker, the wind can blow the pots over. If this happens they are sure to crack and they are forty quid a pop now. So I'll remove the castors, which will make them more stable. They slide easy enough without them. I like them as they will hold a little water in the really hot weather.

The white ones I sprayed green need doing again.

P1010717.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Took the day off and went to Antlers, Ok. to see the eclipse.
Big electrical storms here at midnight. I hope it doesn't totally wash my garden away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at this today. So no gardening.

P1010720.JPG

I might go to the village for some green spray paint and re-spray the tatty pot movers. I can do that in the garage.

No golf this week either. Over the last couple of weeks it's been so wet they've been steadily reducing the number of holes open to play. Like a game of musical chairs. Not worth getting wet, to be only able to play half the course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've not been idle, I got the paint for the pot movers. I've been watching tennis and cricket on TV. In between, I've been practising my putting on the front room carpet. Although I won my division last Wednesday by a few shots, I missed a few short putts. I need to improve.
This is my Odyssey "two ball" putter. I'd been using a different one of the same make for over ten years. Then two years ago, I saw Lexi Thompson in a televised competition, using one to great effect. So I bought one.
Then a few weeks later, she lost a nine shot lead in a competition and never used it again!

P1010721.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mixed Soil moved my seedlings in that were in Trays because it is to rain.

Moved Tiger Lillies.

Bought some Pots. Noticed big stores have all their plants in Nursery Pots.

I'm concerned about my Peace Lillies something is going on. I told my Son I think their getting too much sun.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted 36 corn kernels in a starter tray with starting medium and water. This will only yield one row of corn , but I can always plant another if this works out.
My eggplants have been attacked by the high winds we've been having here in Oklahoma. It's a little early and the wind seems to blow well into May here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Too wet for golf or gardening, even the hedgehog didn't bother to pay us a visit as it's rained on and off for the last twenty-four hours.

I did spray the pot movers in the garage, I'll give them another coat tomorrow.

I'm pleased that the grass seed under this acer palmatum has taken, some of the original grass seems to be thriving too.
Lots of catkins from next door's tree on the lawn, they'll get taken up when I next mow it...if ever.

P1010722.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We are down in our Airbnb in North Carolina. Took with us a bunch of mini daffs and Liriope from our North garden, suppose to be deer resistant. So planting these in places. Removing lots of heaped up pine needed rubbish from areas taking to the back woodland areas to pack in. Wish we could burn. The soil here is rubbish. Bought some garden soil to use as we go along, and bags of mulch. The shrubs that had been planted in the front have issues, don't think the prior owner had a clue. Anyway, frankly, I doubt the guest that stay care about plantings. So its all for us. We plan to drive back home about the 19th. I have missed some of my northern blooming daffs. Weather good, 74 here day time. So back to other chores about. Thank goodness the cleaners are awesome.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Supposed to have help that didn't show.

Worked with stuff For Sale in the Greenhouse. Stupid me didn't think about it but them 2 inch pots in the inserts needed pulled apart.

Thought I would keep all Jalapeños but I found some more seed.

Sprayed the Greenhouse.

Planted 25 Strawberry plants.

Ordered some more pots.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Went to Byng School Horticulture and bought 6 yellow squash starts, 6 zucchini, starts, 6 Gherkins cucumber starts and 6 bell pepper starts. =total cost $10. The money goes to the student fund and Booster Club. Also bought two 2 1/2 lb. sausage rolls for $10 each. That money goes to the FFA students that have raised pigs to sell.

It was a very good trip and helps the students see the total results of their efforts.

I came back home and laid some cardboard and compost down in the garden, IN THE RAIN. My wife came and made me go back inside. :oops: ! You got to seize the day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This wasn't gardening but was a job outside that needed attention.
The slates on our roof are rough finish concrete, so attract moss on two sides.
This eventually starts blocking the gutters and they will overflow.
This is the worst side and when blocked the water will overflow onto the flat roof extension of our lounge. I won't let the window cleaner go on it as I'm concerned the felt might get damaged. I don't like being on it, as the felt is twenty years old now, but needs must.
A case of putting one extending ladder up to the flat roof and a second one up to the eaves but standing on a large sturdy plastic bread tray.

P1010724.JPG

Fortunately, the pergola easily takes my weight so not hard to get up there, with a bucket, trowel and hose, as I can stand on the crossbeams.

P1010725.JPG

This side was a different matter. This as Peter Kay might say needed, "the big ladders." These must be sixty years old, I inherited them from a neighbour who died ten years ago. They are solid hard wood so a bit springy, but I'm used to them.

My wife says, as I'm 84 this month, I should "get a man in." I would if I could find one, but then I wouldn't want them going on the flat roof. Anyway, the job's done now.

P1010726.JPG

I gave the pot movers a second coat. They can go out tomorrow.
I'm just going to give the roses a spray of Sulphur Rose this afternoon.

It looks like it will be dry tomorrow, so I'll cut the lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Moved my Cabbage Seedlings outside and put my Ferns in some shade.

They messed up on our Billboard so probably won't open this week. I've been busting tail to open last week.

Found some Lavender, picked a piece and wasn't impressed. The heck of it is I have a bunch.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm up to date with garden. I've mowed the lawns.

View attachment 102626

The re-painted pot movers are back in position on the "rose patio."

View attachment 102627

The only "big job" is to get into the rockery (again) and dig the grass out of the phlox. It's a pain, as it's a "hands and knees job." But not today.

A lot of hedgehog activity last night, between 9.00pm and 5.00am.
There's at least two that visit. I could hear some "off camera snuffling" on one clip. They come for the food I leave out, which only they can access, but it doesn't stop the cat from watching.

We've two unoccupied hedgehog houses, that have been used in the past, but I think the constant attention of a neighbour's cat put them off.

Thumb of 2024-04-12/DoghouseRiley/ec2a02

Bye!

Thumb of 2024-04-12/DoghouseRiley/7c5f08

Ask a Question