What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been doing edging with a spade.well worth the effort.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.jpeg
    IMG_0463.jpeg
    514.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0433.jpeg
    IMG_0433.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been doing edging with a spade.well worth the effort.

Hi and welcome.

I've pretty much abolished edging.

I found it difficult to do without getting, "border creep."

So over a decade ago, I went from what we had.

P7180030.JPG

P1020350.JPG

To what we have now.

These are block paving bricks set in fine concrete mix over a bit of hardcore, with a little gully on the border side of the line.

P1020448.JPG

P1000535.JPG

The lawn is flush with the bricks and the crazy York stone path on the other side.
So my Flymo passes over both. Mowing takes about ten minutes.

I laid them in an afternoon and pointed them up the following day. It's dead easy to do.

The bricks I got from B&Q and some bags of fine mix concrete. I added a bit of yellow dye to the mortar, to "tone it down a bit".

I occasionally need to run my strimmer down the edge of the lawn where it meets the path.
As I did over this week-end.

P1010694.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Was up bright and early waiting on a load of dirt for my garden expansion. It came so the start.

Repotted some Tomatoes and planted some Tomato Seed because I forgot.

Destroyed some plants because of Spider Mites.

My Son was mowing grass, cool. Then we was setting on the Deck. Dad you know them Tiger Lillies you had over here. ???? I had?

Yea they kind of got mowed. Dad you know your Blackberrys? No i didn't mow them.

Ĝot Blue Oyster Mushrooms coming up.i

big rockpile

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question.
Ive got 2 plumb trees and the ground by the them is being over taken by this green stuff..
I ripped all this stuff up about 2 months ago.
And its growing back like a carpet.
Is there a proper way of getting rid of this weed or just keep ripping it up please .if anyone knows.
IMG_0466.jpeg
IMG_0469.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I gave the back lawn a feed and sprayed all the roses with a rose tonic.

There's nothing else that needs attention at the moment.
We had a visitor last night. This is quite a big hedgehog and I'm pretty sure not the one that came last year. It ate some of the food I left out, but not a lot.

IMAG0001.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing outside,but pricked out the tomato seedlings and the rest of the snapdragons, some of the others not doing very well and some more Californian Poppies.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question.
Ive got 2 plumb trees and the ground by the them is being over taken by this green stuff..
Is there a proper way of getting rid of this weed or just keep ripping it up please .if anyone knows.View attachment 102437View attachment 102438
It's best to keep ripping it out and get the roots out with it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question.
Is there a proper way of getting rid of this weed or just keep ripping it up please .if anyone knows.View attachment 102437View attachment 102438
you are not in the best place to get a reply, click on 'Forums' and then on the top one 'General gardening chat' I think.

From the leaf it looks like buttercup, but it is a strange manner of growth. No matter what it is my advice would be get a draw hoe on it. After you have gone over it once it will take only a few minutes to go over it once a week and chop the leaves into the tilth, then they start improving the soil rather than taking from it. I can't think of a plant that can take having the leaves chopped regularly, even mature docks give up eventually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Dereklad. :) It looks like creeping buttercup and will re-shoot if roots are left in the ground.

I would advise you to move your young trees further away from the fence before they settle their roots. As fully mature trees their trunks will be right against it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I spent nearly $2000 to bring down some trees at the rental property in Oahu. They were massive trees that were damaging the roof. So, I called this tree removal company (I mention them because it is a bit difficult to find a good company in the region, and maybe it will be useful to someone), which took them down and chopped them up in a few hours.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Is there a proper way of getting rid of this weed or just keep ripping it up please .if anyone knows.
I could be off base here, but that is kind of a good-looking ground cover. I bet it would choke out any weeds. I think I might consider the old "if you can't beat 'em join 'em." Certainly a lot easier than weeding.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like creeping buttercup and will re-shoot if roots are left in the ground.
I thought the leaves looked familiar, I should have thought, there are a good few different buttercups. A draw hoe will chop down to the first couple of inches, should be enough for buttercup roots, especially if you repeat a few times.
Looking at the picture I agree about moving the trees away from the fence, the neighbour will be getting half the plums for a start.
By the way, 'plumb' is used in words that derive from the Latin for lead, like plumbers or plumb line, the fruit does not have the 'B'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Put up my grow tent, shelving and lights. I did start my tomato and pepper seeds before I got this up. I timed it perfectly. This morning I had tomatoes and peppers sprouting. Just need to start more Jicamas and Poblanos.
Still holding off on watermelons, cucumbers and canteloupe. I only do a few of those just to get a little head start. The rest I seed outside.

Looking forward to 2024.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I know that my lawn would benefit from tining. I usually do this with a garden fork.
At my golf club they have a machine that hollow tines the greens. Hollow tining is far better as it allows more air to get to the grass roots.
So I found this on eBay and ordered it. I'm not sure if it will stand up to heavy use particularly if the ground is hard. But our soil is a bit sandy, it was formerly farmland. So it should be OK. It was only £14.85, post free.

s-l1600.jpg

Ask a Question