What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put up a chicken wire fence around mu veggie garden. Little Miss Ruby got in yesterday and went along my row of red onions and pulled every one of them out. Didn't eat them , just pulled them out and laid them aside. I hope the fence will keep her out. She's such a sweet dog, I could just pull her head of and feed it to the chickens!:cautious::ROFLMAO:

I laid down cardboard, then mulch, but one of the sheets is from construction materials and is water proof. Monday I'll have to remove that one and burn it.

Happy Easter to all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Watered the leafy greens seedling pots (lettuce, chard, spinach, etc).

Watered the Impatiens seedling pot.

Sowed about 2 tsp. Pollinator Mix seeds (2023) into a row near the middle of the Cottage Garden, after removing LOTS of crabgrass from the area.

Sowed 100+ seeds, 3 rows x12 feet of pre-soaked, mixed varieties Green bush beans (2023) in sunny areas of Cottage Garden. Labeled the rows w/ the empty seed packets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Composted and fertilized 1 Japanese plum and 3 nectarines.

MOD

Attachments

• 20240330_174756.jpg
    20240330_174756.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240330_183805.jpg
    20240330_183805.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Got into our small front garden today.
Removed all the weeds I could find in the lawn, (a hands and knees job). Then mowed it. The area immediately under the azaleas takes a long time to produce any grass growth. The only way to resolve it is to severely prune back the azaleas, I do trim a few inches off them each year, but I won't do more than that.

P1010688.JPG

As usual, despite a trim of six inches to a foot each year all the way round, the big acer has produced its usual number of new buds.

P1010689.JPG

I got the ladders out and sorted out this clematis. Removing dead wood and tying up new branches in an attempt to get it to cascade.

P1010690.JPG

The "unloved" roses in the "alley of shame" (our drive), are all doing well despite the little sun they receive.

P1010691.JPG

I'm pleased with this lilac.

P1010692.JPG

It's put on considerable growth in a week.

P1010693.JPG

Tied up a few clematis, then got the strimmer out and edged the right-hand side of the lawn.

P1010694.JPG

That's me completely up to date. I can now watch the football.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That always looked good when I did it, then it rained and the wind blew, went back to wooden sticks and a thick pencil.
All my local stores are sold out of plastic garden labels AND sold out of the tongue-depressor looking flat stick type of garden labels, and have been sold out since March 1. I will keep checking my stores until someplace restocks their labeling supplies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All my local stores are sold out of plastic garden labels AND sold out of the tongue-depressor looking flat stick type of garden labels, and have been sold out since March 1. I will keep checking my stores until someplace restocks their labeling supplies.
Do you have a Dollar Tree? They have the plastic labels here which was a surprise to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All 3 Dollar trees within a 25 minute drive of my house have been sold out of plastic gardening labels since March 1. The population in my area (a well to do suburb N of Houston) has tripled over the past 2 yrs., & the Dollar Tree stores here have not increased their stock. Supply in that chain not keeping up with demand, & there have been corporate announcements that some Dollar Tree stores across the USA will soon be shut down.

It would make no sense for stores slated to be shut down to increase how much they stock. So instead, they are running out of stock, which may be intentional.

I may go check my local drug store & see if they carry tongue depressor sticks, which I could use to label my garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All 3 Dollar trees within a 25 minute drive of my house have been sold out of plastic gardening labels since March 1. The population in my area (a well to do suburb N of Houston) has tripled over the past 2 yrs., & the Dollar Tree stores here have not increased their stock. Supply in that chain not keeping up with demand, & there have been corporate announcements that some Dollar Tree stores across the USA will soon be shut down.

It would make no sense for stores slated to be shut down to increase how much they stock. So instead, they are running out of stock, which may be intentional.

I may go check my local drug store & see if they carry tongue depressor sticks, which I could use to label my garden.
Hobby Lobby, Dollar General, Rexall Drugs, Walmart. American Retail is going out of business On line only..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
As the hedgehog hadn't visited our garden for three days, I took the feeders away on Friday.
We had a visit on Friday night.

IMAG0011.JPG

But it didn't stay long as there was no food.
So last night I put the food out again.
But no visit!

I don't think it's the same hedgehog that visited last year, as it seems bigger. This one may visit several gardens, they can walk several miles during a night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Found a nice Easter surprise today: an organic purple yam (Ube) that I tossed into the compost late last Fall due to being half rotten has sprouted up several rooted sucker plants. Dug them out of the compost with a long-handled shovel (in case I accidentally wake up a snake or mouse in the compost pile).

Put on garden gloves and transplanted these purple yam starts into the Cottage Garden, where I had just removed a few square feet of Straggler daisy, AKA Calyptocarpus vialis, a ground cover plant whose yellow daisy flower ranges in size from 7mm to the size of a dime.

I have hundreds of Straggler daisies in my rear lawn and shaded side yard; don't need any in the garden.

Found what looks like a wild ground-cherry (Physalis sp?) plant in Cottage Garden, near my transplanted Prairie Brazorias. Decided to leave it there, & see how it develops.

Sowed a 12 foot row of Navajo Tall Tagetes marigolds (AKA Aztec marigold, AKA Mexican marigold), as companion plants to my Green beans in the Back of Cottage Garden. These are significantly more heat & drought resistant than other varieties of Tagetes that I've grown.

Sowed about 6 Celosia cristata seeds which someone sent me as bonus seeds, at right end of mixed Pollinator seeds row, same area of garden.

Tomorrow, I plan to start transplanting my veggie seedlings from seedling pots into the Cottage Garden. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One lot I got some on line from a craft store. Sold as 'lolly sticks' , they had the ordinary ones and also an extra large size, which is handy if you want to write more than 'Pea'. Worked out a bit expensive by the time I paid postage.
I have also had a bag of off cuts from a carpenter which worked, and you can re-use old ones written in pencil by scraping them with a sharp knife.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have about 20 pounds of 1"x 1/4' wood strips left over from a wood strip canoe build. No shortage of strips for many uses.
Today I secured the bottom of the wire fence around my garden so "Little Miss Ruby" won't be digging up any more of my onions.
Replaced the plastic coated cardboard with good cardboard. So I will have better water absorption.
Went to the Home Depot and bought 3 indeterminate tomato plants, 1 determinate tomato plant, and 2 straight neck yellow squash.
Going to rain and blow big time tomorrow, so I'll just hold off on getting them in the ground.

This being a very rural area, our local high school has a horticulture class that is selling all kinds of garden plants at $1.00 per plant. Hanging baskets of ferns, flowers and potted plants are going for around $10. I'll pick up some bell peppers, jalapeños, egg plants , and broccoli for $1 per plant. They are really great, well started plants and it's for a very good cause.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Rather a depressing outlook today.

P1010695.JPG

Baled out of golf as it'll rain on and off all day. Still there's football and a lot of tennis and squash on TV today.

No hedgehog activity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yesterday- Got 120 Red Pontiac seed potatoes in the ground. All from last year harvest.
Todays plan was to get another bed of potatoes in the ground. But have been in Hot tub twice and still cannot move.
Might have over done it yesterday.
My wife calls your condition "Death by Yard" and was suffering a bit herself yesterday. It seems so late with Easter past but it is an early holiday this year.

I did not even get the grass cut. The mower was born in January 2005 and has decided to need ever more doctoring. Yesterday was throw the belts off the deck day. I feel like I rebuild it every spring. It has 442 hours on the meter now so thats a pretty decent run.

Ask a Question