What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
For what its worth, I think if you added some good soil/compost mix to give more depth to the soil, it will work. Bring the level up to within two or three inches of the top.

Does it have adequate drainage? That is an important consideration also.

It's actually just sitting on the ground there. I haven't added the soil yet. There is no bottom to it, so I guess to answer your questions is that there's a lot of depth and a lot of drainage? ... unless I'm missing something.

So I plan to move it somewhere - haven't decided where yet, but the floor will just be the earth - and fill it up with purchased garden soil like you say. (I do have compost going, but it's a new garden and not there yet).

Do you reckon that will work?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I watered with Miracle Grow and used the action hoe between the corn & onion rows. I have some okra starts coming up in my shop. Only 10, but that will be plenty for me & mine.
Every thing is coming along nicely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of watering today.

This is the azalea my wife bought over thirty years ago from a stall on Altrincham Market, run by a guy who had a local nursery. It was in a reduced to clear box, in a 4" pot. I think it was 50p, but definitely less than a pound. She brought it home on the bus but managed to split the stem as it was with other bags of shopping. I repaired it with a bit of Sellotape.

Over the years, I've layered it several times. There's even two bits I transferred to the back garden. We've tried to identify it, but even the owner of the nursery, didn't know.

P1010860.JPG

P1010861.JPG

This Apta ceramic pot is a permanent fixture by our front door. We ring the changes as we've several plants in plastic pots, which will fit in it. We did have a large heather in it, but now it's the turn of this azalea.

P1010859.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I made 3 hanging brackets to hang hummingbird feeders on the back porch. Yesterday several hummingbirds came by to check the last years location, so I mixed up the sugar water and hung the feeders out today.
It’s always interesting how territorial they are. I’ve had as many as seven birds at one time, all jockying for position!😁

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I picked a spot in my yard that is somewhere betwixt 2000 and 3000 sq. ft. to experiment on. I applied Triclopyr to the yard, knowing full well that most of the "lawn" was weeds of one sort or another, and the stuff did a phenomenal job of killing the weeds. I overseeded a few days ago with 85% to 15% Kentucky Blue Grass and Perennial Rye. It's been raining nonstop every day for the last week, and it all started the very same day I put down the new seed.

Prior to overseeding it, I dethatched it and then aerated it. The heavy rains that evening surely helped to get the seeds into the holes created by my aerator! I'm anxious to see the results! Here are a couple photos showing what the Triclopyr did, and one that shows a part of the yard that I didn't do just for comparison. As you will clearly see, most of the "green" isn't grass; it's weeds. I have an infestation of wild violets, clover, creeping Charlie, prickly lettuce, Bermuda grass, crab grass, and a few other things I forgot the names of. The yard should be gorgeous once I get all of it taken care of. I only have 450000 more square feet to deal with.

20240507_141600.jpg

20240507_141556.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watered everything.

Fell on a Pot of Coleus. So I repotted it.

Had a Sago Palm I was unsure of. Got it out of its Pot and it was Root Bound so I repotted it in a bigger Pot. Seemed it was too heavy for me. I was going to help my Son get it on the Deck. Not with him, get it and go.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Cleaned up a total mess. I have grow lights in my office. had 3 trays of assorted seedlings. Flies and dogs do not mix well with grow lights. oh well these little setbacks....

Reaction score
Country
United States
I watered stuff.

Sprayed some with Neem. Got some Bugs on my Peppers maybe I can get them under control.

Sold some plants and Worms. One Couple was so happy they had bought Worms off me and went down to the Park and caught Trout. They give me friend request on FB.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Despite other distractions, I'm pretty much up to date with the garden.
I'm pleased that this pink wisteria that IU've trailed the full length of the side of the house from its root in the small bed the other side of the fence under the kitchen window. I stopped last year, it when it reached the corner of the house. It gets very little sun and the blossoms are always a bit "wimpy" but it does its best.

P1010862.JPG

It's a never ending job for the moment, vaccing up fallen wisteria blossom in the back garden.
Today I'll be removing more unwanted growth on those on the two pergolas and those you can see on the one on the side wall. Plus more tying up of clematis.
Of course, whilst doing this, I'll give my two vinyl jukeboxes in our summer house a bit of use.

P1010868.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sean, I had a big ,black downpipe like that next to the back door at our last house. I wound a rope round it and then tied bamboos to it so the rope kept them an inch or so away from the pipe, then I grew sweet peas up it. A considerable improvement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've had this sorbus tree in the bottom corner of our garden for about thirty years. Some years, like last year, it has little blossom. This year, like other years, it has a lot.

It gets a prune every couple of years, so it maintains a nice shape.

P1010870.JPG

Ask a Question