What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
Nagano. But I can't find information about the size of that plant.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think that's a Soy bean, they're toxic if they're not processed. Think they need to be fermented, cooking alone doesn't make them edible.

Can you get hold of French beans instead? You can eat the whole pods of them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Put these round mine, need to get some fleece to put over the top.
DSCI0003 (13).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I found carrots! I planted Danvers Half-longs and Rainbow carrots, and nothing happened. I figured either the seed was faulty, or I planted too deeply or too late.
Went out to weed the onion patch, and found that we have carrots, lots of carrots next door! I now need to thin the carrots, rather than grieving over not having carrots. Sometimes patience pays off (also not weeding, since I would have pulled up the baby carrots).

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Put parrafin around them before thinning, puts the carrot fly off the scent :eek:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dug up about 40 Common Blue Violets from my yard and planted them in the garden. Nice to know I already had a native plant growing here long before I got here, but by moving it to the garden, it'll avoid being cut, which means plants will be able to grow to full size and ideally serve as host plants for various fritillary butterflies.

Some of you know, Violets spread a lot, including into grass. That doesn't bother me since violets have been apart of my lawn for as long as I can remember. In fact, I'd hate to see a lawn without violets in it. Creeping Charlie, on the other hand, is the worst. Non-native here, and spreads like wildfire. It'll likely be the only non-native plant in my garden because it's impossible to keep out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I didn't do much, feeling lazy today, sprayed mealybugs from hibiscus plant's bough & limbs that has almost died, after sudden leaf fall due to intense sun and mealybugs infestation.

Preparing new grow bags for different species of basil (dark and purple stem ones) and sandalwood plant.

I don't get it, why does not the red ants kill the white ants, while digging one of the isolated part of the garden found ant colony in upper layer of soil and white ants in the lower layer inside their distinctive cave like mould covered colony.

I know mealybugs are carried by red ants to feed on young leaves in exchange for the honydew (secretion from mealybugs) that ants relish but what is the relationship between red and white ants?(n)

Ask a Question