Weather

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Yes, take my word for it (I could be Michael Fish), even Ireland will be basking in sunshine and I am not being toasted, baked and kilned! LOL!:LOL:

Thanks alp; if you were indeed Micael Fish I'd definitely wrap up in my monsoon gear.

The video about sums up my feelings for weather forecasters; I doubt they could forecast correctly rain even if they were standing under Blackie.

I'm having a quick brew between polishing the Yeti; no sooner had I started that a guy was thrusting a flyer into my hand advertising plastic fences; is there no peace from these people; then the birds were singing; in fact they were telling each other to get ready for their latest bomb runs; I cleaned a lot off before even going shopping at 7 o'clock this morning; whilst raking the garden this morning a neighbours cat was leaving me a present in the soft soil. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp; if you were indeed Micael Fish I'd definitely wrap up in my monsoon gear.

I'm having a quick brew between polishing the Yeti; ...

I am worried for Bron. You must love your car more than her! You're always cleaning it, washing it and polishing it. If it rains so much your way, I wouldn't bother washing it so often. But I am messy! LOL!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your concern about Bron alp. (y):)

My pecking order is;

#1 Bron.
#2 Home.
#3 Yeti.
#4 Workshop.

Bron will always be top priority and I love her to bits.

Our home is our sanctuary so much so we've not had a days holiday away from home for the last 40 years.

As a child I knew first hand what real poverty was as did all the kids I knew; only one neighbour had a vehicle and this was broken down more than it ran it being an old Ford side valve van; food and clothes were scarce; I never take things for granted and our Yeti is our luxury giving us freedom to go out during the week when places are much quieter. Yes I love our Yeti in fact I've only just come from it; I've just treated the full leather upholstery it being the SE L 2.0L diesel model at under two years old; Bron too loves our Yeti and normally we exchange our vehicle at 3 years but its possible we'll keep the Yeti it suiting us so well.

The fully equipped workshop isn't just a man cave; having a workshop has allowed us to live here by doing all the repairs and alterations ourselves from replacing foul drains right up to replacing the roof and chimney; I've also made lots of both freestanding and built in furniture; I do all the big heavy jobs Bron turns it into a home. :)

Time now to settle down for some quality time with Bron to watch a movie; it's been a very busy day since getting out of bed at 6:15 this morning; I'm starting to feel tired. Being retired there just aren't enough hours in a day; I'll be up at 5:15 tomorrow morning as it's Rufforth Autojumble day; this is the only time I spend away from Bron.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00552.JPG
DSC00553.JPG
DSC00554.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did you get it from new? Leather interior! I'm impressed. :D But I am not materialistic!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Did you get it from new? Leather interior! I'm impressed. :D But I am not materialistic!

Thanks for asking alp. Yes we bought it new in July 2016. Previously we had a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo in black over red; we loved the Monte and now with the Monte at two years old Bron and I were invited to a "VIP" day at our local Skoda main dealer.

When we bought the Monte we sat in and had a good look at both the Roomster and the Yeti but we thought being bigger cars the running costs too would be bigger; the Fabia looked gorgeous so we bought it. At the VIP day a black Yeti SE L 2.0L diesel was sitting brooding in the corner of the showroom; normally we trade in at three years old but we were offered a good deal so we now own the Yeti and it's an absolute joy to own and drive; both Bron and I love it. Amazingly we found it a lot cheaper to run than the Monte; the insurance is cheaper and at 60mpg its far superior to the Monte; I've just returned from Rufforth Autojumble; York and it's showing just over 60mpg. It's the "Ad Blue" model so taxing is only £30 per year unless this has been changed by the government; all insurance shot up in price last year now we pay around £350 per year.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/skoda/yeti/sports-utility-vehicle/review

We added a Garmin Sat Nav and also a dash cam. There are lots of functions on this Yeti we don't use such as Bluetooth and the media (Infotainment);

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s..._-ne7aAhVkFMAKHW5pApoQsAQIWQ&biw=1920&bih=949

This Yeti is just effortless to drive in fact this morning it just about drove itself given clear motorways first thing with cruise control engaged; all I had to do is be awake and steer. Dropping the rear seats it converts into a decent sized van.

We don't go away on holiday or dine out; the Yeti is our luxury allowing us to get out during the week which we take advantage of. The Yeti is being replaced by an entirely new model that we aren't keen on so given how good our Yeti is it might prove to be a keeper.

Here's the dash cam in action for interest;

Did I say Bron and I loved our Yeti? :):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Nice one Silentrunning; I bet yours does more to the gallon and has cheaper insurance/road tax. :D:D:D

What a busy day again; Rufforth this morning then I've been helping a friend out; I used to restore vintage valve radios and the valve holders were secured to the chassis by rivets; in order to completely strip a chassis for a comprehensive rebuild the rivets have to be drilled out hence destroying them. The problem then occurs installing new rivets; many of these chassis are quite deep so I dreamt up a two piece rivet setting tool as seen in the pictures; having a metal lathe I simply turned the two tools one a rivet set the other a rivet anvil; quite an easy job the hard part was coming up with the solution; I mount one tool in the drill press chuck the other tool in the drill vice; I turned locating stubs to aid alignment and how easy it is to set rivets using this method. My friend writes extensively being very well known in vintage wireless work and he asked if I still had the rivets and tools; I have the rivets and making new tools wasn't difficult; the pictures show the method and the test rivets I set in a piece of Tufnol. I'll post them on next week with my compliments; we help each other out whenever we can.

No sooner had I completed this that four Hydrangeas arrived and I've now planted them; I can't believe I've been carrying water up the mountain to water all the plants I've recently planted; typical of Blackie to desert me when needed?

All in all a good day and something to show for it.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00555.JPG

Setting rivets in the drill press with home made tooling.

DSC00556.JPG

The underside of the newly formed rivets.

DSC00557.JPG

The top side which will be seen.

Ask a Question