Weather

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I always feel drawn to things like this, I'm fascinated by it.

We've just had ours. On a Saturday we have toast, tinned tomatoes,baked beans and fried egg, hubby has fried potatoes and 2 sausages with his.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We mowed today and bagged the grass clippings to put in the hens' outside coop. Happy chickens! I weeded part of a flower bed while husband mowed and dumped the bag of clippings into the garden cart. Cali, our calico cat, rode the cart to the coop and then hopped on top of the coop to watch the hens scratch and re-arrange their clippings.
We are currently in the 70's, with hopes of the 80's later this afternoon. I put the tomato and pepper starts out on the garden table to acclimate to the outside temperatures.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
70 is 21c. That's perfect. After that, it's boiling! LOL! For me, any way. I love 19c with sunshine.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please don't feel you're being selfish if you keep the snow Tjohn. :D:D:D

Our snow has gone but predicted to return again in force at the month end? What a climate though either snow; blizzard; hail; frost; ice and high wind but mostly persistent rain that just loves me. Here's a picture of a bit of the garden I gave a makeover last year before being driven indoors by sub zero temperatures; I managed to plant shrubs and over 200 daffodils; I hope the daffodils flower before they are lost under the snow again? Everything is soaking wet with little hope of improvement.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00339.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Daffs will come up year after year, even though there is 24" of snow, Well, no, 4"!

24" of snow is staggering. My heart sinks with yours, @Tjohn !

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Logan. (y) The garden is now starting to look better but it's been hard graft; the big stump in the picture is the remains of an 80' tall specimen fir which simply became too big and being near the bungalow we worried about it being blown down by the high wind we suffer up the valley; the pictures below show this big fir also another 80' tall conifer nearby which did suffer wind damage this one landed directly above the shed and went right over into our neighbours garden; my chainsaw and shredder earn their keep; the previous picture shows this part of the garden as it now is with all the overgrown hedge and other greenery completely removed; I planted the new shrubs and daffodils late last year.

The gardens became overgrown whilst I did 30 years of work to the bungalow so I ended up with huge job in sorting the gardens out but I think I've now completed all the hard work? The petrol chainsaw and fuel were in the shed with the big tree hung up above in one of the oak trees; I really do know how to enjoy life to the full.

Kind regards, Colin.

IMG_6668.JPG
Tree felling Oct 2012. (10).jpg
Tree felling Oct 2012. (11).jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Logan. (y) The garden is now starting to look better but it's been hard graft; the big stump in the picture is the remains of an 80' tall specimen fir which simply became too big and being near the bungalow we worried about it being blown down by the high wind we suffer up the valley; the pictures below show this big fir also another 80' tall conifer nearby which did suffer wind damage this one landed directly above the shed and went right over into our neighbours garden; my chainsaw and shredder earn their keep; the previous picture shows this part of the garden as it now is with all the overgrown hedge and other greenery completely removed; I planted the new shrubs and daffodils late last year.

The gardens became overgrown whilst I did 30 years of work to the bungalow so I ended up with huge job in sorting the gardens out but I think I've now completed all the hard work? The petrol chainsaw and fuel were in the shed with the big tree hung up above in one of the oak trees; I really do know how to enjoy life to the full.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 33343 View attachment 33344 View attachment 33345

Must be very cathartic! Hope birds still find somewhere to nest. Now is their crucial time to nest. Up the road, they trimmed their Leylandii and luckily for the wagtails, they kept the lollipop for them and I saw nearly 20 of them flitting in and out. Very lovely and it's nice to see them nesting so near the main streets and busy roads.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our birds still have plenty of trees and bushes to nest in alp; I dislike felling trees but sometimes it can't be helped. :(

Oh dear Logan; don't say I missed springtime again; I was in the workshop woodturning yesterday; I usually miss summer too. Pouring with rain; I've just done the three supermarkets with Blackie for company and its the usual black hole; astronomers spend £m's building giant telescopes to peer into space looking at black holes when all they really need to do is visit Yorkshire any time of the year.

I feel some woodturning coming on. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question