Upside down garden anyone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Now this I like a bit more than the upside down affair. I think it has to do with the uniformity of the sizes and shapes of the plants, and the uniformity of the color. They are shown to their best advantage, this is a beautiful picture.

Apparently you can also grow some fruit this way as well. I've seen some very beautiful sting garden photos with orchids and other flowering plants. I think we may have a thread on it here.

Reaction score
Apparently you can also grow some fruit this way as well. I've seen some very beautiful sting garden photos with orchids and other flowering plants. I think we may have a thread on it here.
Hmm, growing fruit this way could be interesting, although I don't think that I would want it in my house just because I would be leery of bugs swarming about when they smell the fruit.

I'll have to search this site and see if I can locate some of the pictures that you are talking about. I really like orchids, although I don't know that much about them except that they are pretty and look unusual in an appealing sort of way. I would be interested to see a group of orchids displayed this way.

Reaction score
I would love to try the upside down garden for winter tomatoes. Every time I have tried growing them indoors the cat kills the plant. I have to admit it would make it a lot easier to pick tomatoes.

I love the looks of the white ones. They would look good with herbs in my kitchen.

Reaction score
I have seen some of the upside down tomato growers Topsy Turvy. The plant never look good and I have not seen a plant with a lot of tomatoes. I am going to stick to the regular way.

Reaction score
I have seen some of the upside down tomato growers Topsy Turvy. The plant never look good and I have not seen a plant with a lot of tomatoes. I am going to stick to the regular way.
You should take a look at some of the pictures posted in the earlier part of this thread.. The plants are loaded.. Actually that was what got me interested in topsy turvy gardening. Tomatoes are generally prone to diseases and rot both of which can be prevented by using this method.

Reaction score
Now this I like a bit more than the upside down affair. I think it has to do with the uniformity of the sizes and shapes of the plants, and the uniformity of the color. They are shown to their best advantage, this is a beautiful picture.
I like this style or format better than the upside down garden. Maybe I don't quite understand the concept, but I don't get the purpose of the upside down garden. Maybe it's about being different, possibly it's a way to force the plants to grow differently, maybe they are healthier, I'm not sure because I've not done the research. I don't think it would look that good inside or outside.

Reaction score
I tried growing my emerald ferns the string garden way.. All the three times I just had a bunch of moss growing, the plants just died out.. I cannot figure what is wrong.. Transplanting the ferns is always an issue for me, they seem to dry out quickly if I get the soil out of the roots. I wish I could get this one going.. I am not so keen on the topsy-turvy garden at the moment.. but string gardening will allow me to have more plants. :)

Reaction score
You can learn something everyday where horticulture is concerned, even when you're not trying. I was not aware of "String Gardening" until you mentioned it Maddie ... what an interesting concept.. I used Google images to find this really nice picture.. I am definitely going to try this..

29725_401915384538_279501074538_4140282_6040132_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I tried doing the upside down bucket tomato one time, and it did not work well for me. My right side up tomatoes grew better, and were easier for me to take care of since they were not hung way up in the air. The buckets are really heavy, and tomatoes will grow several feet long, so you have to have the bucket very high, like the one in the video that was put up on the post. It might work for an athletic person, who can climb up there to plant the top, and water it, but for a short little old lady...... Forget it !

I think maybe the idea of making a small one from a 2 liter bottle, or even a milk jug, would work ok. It would not grow a tomato, but I can see maybe a cucumber, or something smaller like that growing out of the bottom, and it could go into a macramé holder and be hung up. It would be much easier to work with, and I think I will maybe try that.

Reaction score
I think this seems so cool! I don't have anywhere cool to hang plants though- I have a hard enough time finding places to sit my pots that my almost 2 year old doesn't try to pull my plants out of them.

Reaction score
@Maddie. The pics are gorgeous. The upside down planting is new to me. I am amazed as how they put it up upside down without the contents falling out.

Reaction score
It seems pretty cool, I like the idea of it and it can look pretty outside of your home. I may have to try this sometime because it will be interesting to see it grow.

Reaction score
You can learn something everyday where horticulture is concerned, even when you're not trying. I was not aware of "String Gardening" until you mentioned it Maddie ... what an interesting concept.. I used Google images to find this really nice picture.. I am definitely going to try this..

29725_401915384538_279501074538_4140282_6040132_n.jpg

That is a stunning photo. The plants look like pieces of modern art.
It looks like it would be difficult to do this kind of garden, but the result looks amazing.

Reaction score
That is a stunning photo. The plants look like pieces of modern art.
It looks like it would be difficult to do this kind of garden, but the result looks amazing.
Though the plants are actually right side up.. I love string gardens. I have tried them a couple of times.. but I seem to be doing something wrong.. maybe soon I will have some wonder plants flowering on strings.. :) That would be the coolest thing to have in my home :)

Ask a Question