Upside down garden anyone

Reaction score
Well, you could always position a dishpan under the plant to catch the water as it trickles down, but I would guess these upside down planters have some kind of special system. Maybe they are aereoponic? Then they would not need watering.
Chanell, with my kind of rushing around I will be rolling on the floor more often than not. And what a sight it would be to have a few dishpans lying around the house :/... Doesn't sound very practical does it?
LOL turning your comfy world topsy turvy for a upside down garden... Nope may not happen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, Maddie, Maybe when you move you can hang an upside down garden outdoors. It would be quite a site and give your visitors something to chat about. BTW, you wouldn't leave the dishpans lying about; only use them at watering time.

Jed

Reaction score
Well I'll be! That would have to the most weirdest gardening concepts I've seen.o_O
As challenging as it is I'll stick with Right Way Up Gardening. That's hard enough.:cool:
Thanks for showing us though.:)

Reaction score
I saw this type of thing on a decorating show awhile back, and I must say that although the plants look really pretty, I'm just not into the upside down thing. It doesn't do much for me. I like how the plants look really pretty and healthy, and to be sure some plants look better upside down than others do, but still, no.

Reaction score
@ Channel, true... I may need them just for the watering time and to catch the dripping for a little while after that. Yeah you are right about that be a conversation starter..
@ Jed, the more I think of it the more I think I like the right side up garden.. LOL
@ flourishes, the plants do look healthy and interesting... I may have to experiment with the concept before giving up on it.
I would rather like neat containers than buckets hanging above my head.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I saw this type of thing on a decorating show awhile back, and I must say that although the plants look really pretty, I'm just not into the upside down thing. It doesn't do much for me. I like how the plants look really pretty and healthy, and to be sure some plants look better upside down than others do, but still, no.

I feel the same way. I quite like how these upside down plants look, I enjoy looking at the pictures and I find it interesting, but I wouldn't like to have it in my home. I'm not sure why...I think it's just better when our plants grow as they would grow in nature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Jed, it may seem weird to you, but right side up gardening has it's limits. For communities of people who have limited growing space or the need for alternate means of growing food both, vertical and upside down gardening may be the difference between starvation and salvation.

Jed

Reaction score
Here's a thought these types of hanging plants would be suitable on space missions in zero gravity.:p

The more I look at those pictures the more I appreciate tradition hanging plants. They are so much more beautiful.

images

Reaction score
Here's a thought these types of hanging plants would be suitable on space missions in zero gravity.:p

The more I look at those pictures the more I appreciate tradition hanging plants. They are so much more beautiful.

images
I agree.. hanging pots right side up make flowers look prettier... I wonder if it is worth it going against the natural way of things... Maybe I need to think differently LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jed, Maddie, I prefer traditional hanging plants over these modern upside down ones too. But in general I don't like when things around me look too strange nor modern:p

Reaction score
@ Channel, true... I may need them just for the watering time and to catch the dripping for a little while after that. Yeah you are right about that be a conversation starter..
@ Jed, the more I think of it the more I think I like the right side up garden.. LOL
@ flourishes, the plants do look healthy and interesting... I may have to experiment with the concept before giving up on it.
I would rather like neat containers than buckets hanging above my head.
I just can't do it maddie, it looks like "they" are trying waaay too hard, you know what I mean? Like they are just trying too hard to be creative and artsy. I'm with you as far as having the neat containers rather than the buckets. As I said before though, some of the plants look better upside down than others do, but all and all (all in all?...which one is it?) I just feel like this upside down plant thing is trying too hard. Will you post some pictures if you do actually do this project?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, remember when we talked about string gardens having the same potential drip issue as the upside down containers? Look at this photo where the plants are in one general area; in this instance using a dishpan or two would totally work, though I still think it would be better to soak them periodically and mist regularly.

72263_456590074396610_1739336611_n.jpg

Reaction score
Maddie, remember when we talked about string gardens having the same potential drip issue as the upside down containers? Look at this photo where the plants are in one general area; in this instance using a dishpan or two would totally work, though I still think it would be better to soak them periodically and mist regularly.
That is such a charming picture.. I think a string garden is more worth it than these upside down adventures.. I am sure we can place containers right under them if they are in a place where there is more standing room than in my kitchen.. i should consider a string garden in my balcony.. that may be a great sight to watch from the play area where I often sit with the younger children ( not mine, mine are much older)
Thanks for these pictures channel.. the string garden has been an inspiration for me,.. but it is hard to get peat moss here.. which is why I have to delay my project until I get some that is not so expensive.

@Flourishes, You can expect my pictures if I ever go the topsy turvy way :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
... the string garden has been an inspiration for me,.. but it is hard to get peat moss here.. which is why I have to delay my project until I get some that is not so expensive.

Maddie, I completely understand. I planted a piece of potato in a small container to see if it would sprout and now it needs a new home! That means getting a new container and dirt if I want to see potatoes from it, and fast!

I took a look at the steps for a string garden and there are three types of moss needed. If I find a good alternate method, I'll let you know.

Reaction score

72263_456590074396610_1739336611_n.jpg

Now this I like a bit more than the upside down affair. I think it has to do with the uniformity of the sizes and shapes of the plants, and the uniformity of the color. They are shown to their best advantage, this is a beautiful picture.

Ask a Question