Upside down garden anyone

Reaction score
This concept has always intrigued me... But I have never tried an upside down garden. Has anyone here grown plants this way.. I have read that plants are more healthier and vibrant as they are attacked by fewer pest and draw the nutrients really well...
Here is a video on how to start your own upside down garden

sky_planter_recycled_small_main.jpg

EE_UPSIDEDOWNGARDEN.jpg

14519.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, I've never seen upside down planters before. This is a really interesting idea even though it looks so unnatural. But, to be honest, I find it hard to believe that it's healthy for a plant to grow like this.

Reaction score
I'm with Claudine. I find it hard to believe that it's healthy for the plants to grow so un-naturally, but I can see why there would be fewer pests or animals that attack them, so the yield would be better, if it was vegetables or fruit. Even ornamental plants would benefit from fewer pests, so who knows. lol

Reaction score
Those orchids and tomatoes look healthy enough to me.. I believe the gravity helps these plants grow better .. or that is what they claim. However, it is an intriguing idea.. and it is worth the try.. The guy in the video.. seems to have the most sensible way to do this.. the other make this process harder.. I have watched a few other video before posting this..
This could be done with a 2 litre soda bottle I guess... it may be worth the try.

Reaction score
Last year, I got tried to make a "Salsa Container" - I got a tomato plant and a jalapeno pepper plant, and one of those plastic hanging baskets that have the three drain slits in the bottom that make almost a complete circle. I cut out the bottom where the drain slits where, so I had a hole, and put the tomato in the bottom so it would hang upside down, then the jalapeno in the top. Both plants grew really well. Big and bushy. I never got any ripe tomatoes or peppers, but I never got any ripe anything last year. I am working on figuring out why.

Reaction score
Bucket, soil, coffee filter, and utility knife.. Very creative, and a really cool idea. I always find the videos about gardening and plants to be so interesting because you can tell the person making the video, thoroughly enjoys what he is doing. This guys dog got in the video, then got bored and walked away..

Got this image from the link Becky posted .. really nice!

69674-360x360-1354118671-s3.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Taskeinc, this looks interesting, very unique. But I think it must be very inconvenient to water them when they are hung so high. I don't know, maybe I'm just old fashioned but I prefer when my plants grow in a traditional way, not upside down:p

Reaction score
An upside down garden looks like a great way to save on space by having some above and some below. Personally, I'm not ambitious or crafty enough to pull this one off, but maybe with my husbands help ;). Some company out there is selling kits for growing tomatoes like this and they make it look really easy in the commercial, but of course it would be because it's all ready to plant and hang.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here is a picture which shows how to water plants that grow upside down:

Doniczka_do_g_ry_nogami_600x0_rozmiar-niestandardowy.jpg

This looks so surreal....

4466doniczki.jpg

boskke_ro%C5%9Bliny_mieszkanie_zio%C5%82a_kuchnia_designsekcja_1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I like the idea of these, but like the string gardens I wonder about drainage, at least indoors. Outside it wouldn't matter if they dripped. The white ones in the photos you've all posted are a lot more attractive than those topsy turvey bags.

Reaction score
I like the idea of these, but like the string gardens I wonder about drainage, at least indoors. Outside it wouldn't matter if they dripped. The white ones in the photos you've all posted are a lot more attractive than those topsy turvey bags.
I wonder too.. I wouldn't like my carpets soiled and soggy... the orchids have nothing much to hold in the moisture so you need to be spraying constantly.. I wish we could have some expert in here to tells us some more... I need to read up on this type of gardening.. haven't really found the time during the holidays.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I wonder too.. I wouldn't like my carpets soiled and soggy... the orchids have nothing much to hold in the moisture so you need to be spraying constantly.. I wish we could have some expert in here to tells us some more... I need to read up on this type of gardening.. haven't really found the time during the holidays.

Maddie, the only thing I could see is if there was a hidden reservoir in the top of the planter that allowed the plant to be self watering and didn't allow that much moisture to pass through at once, like the drip irrigation from your bottles.

Reaction score
Yeah .. would work with the other plants .. but I wonder if this would work with orchids... anyways.. I guess topsy turvy gardening is for outside .. at least for me...
They still intrigue me.. so much that someday I might try it.. when I come up with a way to catch the drippings.. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, you could always position a dishpan under the plant to catch the water as it trickles down, but I would guess these upside down planters have some kind of special system. Maybe they are aereoponic? Then they would not need watering.

Ask a Question