Another Tree Cut Down...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since reclaiming my house in 2005, after my retirement from the military (I had been stationed out of area since 1992) I've cut down six big trees and the seventh tree yesterday.

I didn't want to cut down my Southern Magnolia, but it had a deep cavity in the middle, which collected debris and rain water and I believe that compromised its health, as evidenced by a large 500-lb (227 kg) limb falling last September during hurricane Irma -- nearly missing my house; furthermore, I could see several large limbs hung up in the canopy and others with large cracks.

I took some pictures to memorialize the event and I've created a "wall" with many of the sections of trunk. I had a plastic thing there before, but didn't like it, because it was ugly, but didn't want to waste money on something from the store, thinking something would come along eventually as a good replacement. That "something" came along today:D

Now I just have to figure out what to do with this section of yard; I get so much sun there now I think I can grow tomatoes and such, which wasn't an option before -- Time for a change in Garden Design:ROFLMAO::D

Here are some pictures of the stump and portions of the trunk in the background, but many more not in the picture. BTW, THIS STUMP IS NOT PERFECTLY ROUND -- MEASUREMENTS: 3 FT (1 meter), by 2 FT (0.61 meter). NOTICE THE CAVITY IN THE MIDDLE, THAT'S ABOUT AN 18" (45-3/4 cm) hole.

017.JPG
018.JPG
019.JPG
020.JPG

Here's the before picture when I first started ripping up that ugly plastic (I used it to keep the mulch from blowing out), basically it was the line where I don't mow.

021.JPG
022.JPG
023.JPG
024.JPG

Here's the after pics -- I won't be needing to go to the gym for a while after this job:ROFLMAO: Don't worry Becky, I did Lift With the Knees:D

025.JPG
026.JPG
028.JPG

BTW, I just saw that Pileated Woodpecker working on another log in my yard, but he was moving fast and really difficult to get a pic. I got a lot more wood for him to work on:)

011.JPG
012.JPG
015.JPG

Attachments

• 028.JPG
    028.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 341
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    344.8 KB · Views: 354

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I took some pictures to memorialize the event and I've created a "wall" with many of the sections of trunk. I had a plastic thing there before, but didn't like it, because it was ugly, but didn't want to waste money on something from the store, thinking something would come along eventually as a good replacement. That "something" came along today:D

Yeah! Well done! Nothing better than natural homemade improvement while the wood still smells aromatic! If I had a tree like that in my garden, I wouldn't be able to move!

Thank you for sharing your momento or souvenir!

Wonderful scarlet colour of the woodpecker! You were so lucky to capture the beauty. Here, I can't even capture my tits as they are ultra sensitive.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for the mention Upsy Daisy; my lathes would be on overtime to turn so many logs. (y):)

Felling big trees is the easy part; getting rid of the brash is much more difficult; I give the logs away to neighbours who own a woodburner the rest I shred and use as mulch.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with this section of yard; I get so much sun there now I think I can grow tomatoes and such, which wasn't an option before -- Time for a change in Garden Design:ROFLMAO::D

Can you please post a picture of the sun roadrunner; we've forgotten what it looks like here in the UK. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I got looking at the leftover stump closer today and noticed that there are two cracks on either side of the cavity that collected rain water. I'm feeling very lucky that I chopped that tree down, because it was only a matter of time when that tree would have split like a banana.

Here are some pics of the stump

This is the crack on the north side of the cavity, notice that there is moisture coming up from the crack, that's because I filled the cavity with water (just for curiosity) and the north side is lower in elevation from the cavity, not to mention the crack on the south side.

002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

This is the crack in the south side of the cavity, which is at a higher elevation, so not seeping near as much water.

007.JPG
008.JPG

This is the part of the trunk that was cut off the main trunk, you can see the cracks and where the one trunk became two separate trunks. BTW, those separate trunks were leaning quite a bit, so I imagine that (along with the water intrusion) was what was causing the crack in the main trunk -- I'm sure the crack is much worse towards the bottom of the cavity.

012.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG

Ask a Question