Unusual Vegetables

Reaction score
You give me too much credit, that was just a stock photo. :( I consider mine a success last year and they were about the size of a baseball and that I got to eat some before the deer and squirrels did!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You give me too much credit, that was just a stock photo. :( I consider mine a success last year and they were about the size of a baseball and that I got to eat some before the deer and squirrels did!
Don't worry, Romanesque Cauliflowers that are about the size of a baseball are still a big success and you should be proud of yourself:D I know I'd be:)
Does this deer visit your garden often? I love deers, they're beautiful animals:love:

Reaction score
I love deer as well but not in my garden!

For a while we had a pair of half-grown fawns that would bed down in my green beans every night. At sunrise they would wake up, eat some beans and then leave. I used to see them out my bedroom window when I got up but by the time I would get dressed they would already be gone.

Then we got our little dog and the fawns found somewhere else to sleep as deer do not like dogs. I think I got a glimpse of one of them but I have never known if it was a different fawn or not.

Reaction score
Yeah when I first moved in the mule deer decimated my garden. I was one apple tree massacre shy of getting a gun and building mile high fences when I stumbled across this stuff called bone sauce. You can find the how to here: http://www.permies.com/t/1805//Sepp-Holzer-recipe-animals-trees
Basically spread it around high deer traffic, apple trees, vegetable beds and salad green patches. The deer will still come to say hello and tease the dogs, they just avoid eating stuff that has had this black goop near it.

Reaction score

I don't think so - you deserve it as in my book - managing to grow to a cauliflower of any description is an achievement in itself - let alone a Romanesque variety and a base ball sized one at that :)

Although I too love animals of all descriptions - I have to admit that the feeling is not quite as strong - when they start to devour and destroy my garden and you certainly sound to have more than your fair share of that - but hopefully now that you've discovered black " goop " - you may get to enjoy the fruits of your labor :D

Reaction score
I think those cauliflowers will go on my list for this year! They look amazing.
Luckily we don't get deer in our garden. The cats are enough of a pest to deal with!

Ask a Question