Hola from Malaga Spain - unusual tree

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello!

My name is Karin and I live in Spain. I am a plant freak and everyone says I live in a jungle ;)

Anyway, yesterday I bought a plant and I just cannot find what it is - it had no label on it, so I am now wildly looking for it. Maybe somebody can help me - please!!! I attached to pics.

It is a little tree and the leaves look like they are plastic.

Hope to hear from anyone - need to know how to care for it as well.

Thanks a lot!!!!:)

Attachments

• 20150610_134341.jpg
    20150610_134341.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 538
  • 20150610_134330.jpg
    20150610_134330.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 693
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Sorry I can't give you the information you need but there are lots of people here who might be able to help and will do so with great enthusiasm!

Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hello!

My name is Karin and I live in Spain. I am a plant freak and everyone says I live in a jungle ;)

Anyway, yesterday I bought a plant and I just cannot find what it is - it had no label on it, so I am now wildly looking for it. Maybe somebody can help me - please!!! I attached to pics.

It is a little tree and the leaves look like they are plastic.

Hope to hear from anyone - need to know how to care for it as well.

Thanks a lot!!!!:)

Hi and welcome :)

Although its very difficult to tell from your photograph exactly what you meant - when you said that the leaves look like plastic or even if they are a succulent type - my immediate thoughts on seeing your plant is that it may possibly be this

Thevetia Peruviana - commonly known as Yellow Oleander

Thevetia Peruviana - Yellow Oleander.jpg

Thevetia Peruviana - 1052.jpg

Which if it is - I feel it only fair to warn you that as every part of it is poisonous - you need to take care when handling it and especially when pruning it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome! I have no idea what your tree is, but it does seem that Gata montes has named it. There are such great gardeners here, with so much knowledge!
Spain is such a wonderful country, and Malaga is one of the prettier cities. I spent my junior college year in Valencia, and traveled over Spain during university breaks. Of course, that was a "few" years ago, but such great memories.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! My brother lives in Barcelona and it is just beautiful there. Sorry I cannot help with identifying your tree.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello everybody!!!

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!!!

Gata montes, as far as I can see, the yellow orleander has the leaves much bigger and they are leaves.

If you look closely at the pics, the leaves of the little tree are somewhat thin, like pine needles, but longer, softer and looks like a plastic tree. I am so curious if this "secret" will be lifted one day:geek:

Reaction score
Hello everybody!!!

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!!!

Gata montes, as far as I can see, the yellow orleander has the leaves much bigger and they are leaves.

If you look closely at the pics, the leaves of the little tree are somewhat thin, like pine needles, but longer, softer and looks like a plastic tree. I am so curious if this "secret" will be lifted one day:geek:

Ah thats a shame - but that said - as I had also wondered if your plant might have those pine like leaves - that are often succulent too - as I couldn't quite tell from your photo if that was the case - was wondering if it be possible for you to post a close up shot of the leaves - as that would certainly make the identification process way easier :)

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi!
Just added a close up of the leaves . the leaves (the longest) are about 3cm / 1.18" long very thin and like I said plastic looking. Looks like an artificial plant but it is not...

Attachments

• 20150611_124833.jpg
    20150611_124833.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 485
Reaction score
Hi!
Just added a close up of the leaves . the leaves (the longest) are about 3cm / 1.18" long very thin and like I said plastic looking. Looks like an artificial plant but it is not...

Although Podocarpus Henkelii was the one plant that immediately sprang to mind on looking at your first photo - especially as its often referred to as having a plastic looking foliage - I didn't mention it as I wasn't quite sure that it was a good match - but have to say that after looking more closely at your latest photo - especially as the shoots on yours do very much resemble those of podocarpus - I'm now wondering if it may well be one of those after all - failing that the only other plant family that I can think of at present that may well be worth checking out are some of Senecio species - especially as many of those do look like small pines :)

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Thank you very much - I think that it is a Podocarpus Henkelii, only very much smaller!! Wonder if it is a bonsai????

The Senecio species have far too thick foliage.

Really appreciate your help!!! Will keep you updated how it developes - hope it does not grow over 2 meters :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
It is a lovely shaped little tree and interesting leaves Good luck with the mystery and welcome to the forum Malagang.:)
My husband and I visited Spain many moons ago, nearly 15 years ago, and we loved it. Driving through the country reminded us of Australia because of its spaciousness except we don't have the large metal bulls dotted throughout. Very impressive!!(y)

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Thank you DeborahJane! Yes it is a lovely little tree and I just could not figure what it is - I saw it and fell in love and had to have it!!!

I guess we have solved the mystery with the help of gata montes .. seems to be a Podocarpus Henkelii but in small.

Yes Spain is a wonderful country, especially for its different zones - climate, people, customs, etc..

I live in Andalusia and it is the part most Spanish of all! Love it here!!! And yes, bulls (metal and real) all over the place:).

Dreaming of visiting Australia one day - also sounds/looks like a great place!!!!

Reaction score
Thank you very much - I think that it is a Podocarpus Henkelii, only very much smaller!! Wonder if it is a bonsai????

The Senecio species have far too thick foliage.

Really appreciate your help!!! Will keep you updated how it developes - hope it does not grow over 2 meters :LOL:

You're welcome and will look forward to hearing how you get on - especially as they truly beautiful trees and one of my favorites too.

Although Podocarpus are a very popular choice for bonsai trees - they're generally way smaller than yours - so yes I think yours is only small as its a very young tree.

As for size - they usually grow from anything between 9 - 15 meters in height and a similar amount in width - so way over 2 meters :eek: :D but don't panic just yet - they are extremely slow growers and its likely to be many, many years before yours gets anywhere near the size of this medium sized one

Podocarpus henkelii.jpg

Ask a Question