Unusual Fruit/Vegetable, Inga Bean

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like to explore about different fruits and vegetables I have never tried or heard of. I found this one that seems interesting and I am thinking of growing. It is called the Inga Bean. The fleshy part inside is the fruit and the seeds are like beans. The tree grows quickly but you can not preserve the seeds. You plant them straight from the pod and there is a 90 to 100% germination rate. They germinate in days and the tree is very hardy. It can grow in all types of soil and in a lot of different climates though it is a tropical tree. The video explains more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What kind of nutritional value does the bean have? What kind of climates will it grow in?

Reaction score
Those are very good questions, peachdejour ;) I had never heard about this bean before, I'm guessing it's way more nutritious than the average bean? From what I saw in the video they are very tasty? I doubt that can grow here :( Quite warm here, but not tropical :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten inga bean, but it looks similar to broad bean, one of my favorite vegetables. Cooked broad bean is unbelievably delicious:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@claudine I have never heard of a broad bean either. LOL I have to keep an eye out for that one and try it out.

@peachdejour I have no clue what it is. I will have to look it up, however I would assume that the bean part is probably high in protein... most likely like a black bean or a kidney bean. The pulp is most likely similar to a kiwi in its nutritional value. I wish I knew for certain.

Ask a Question