Unusual Vegetables

Reaction score
I love growing (or attempting to grow!) unusual edibles in the garden. I like to grow things we haven't tried before and that we can't buy from our local shops.

Last year we grew some Huauzontole which was delicious, and I found it very easy to grow. We were harvesting it for months and it was lovely in omelettes and stir frys.

Which unusual edibles have others had success with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I've never tried to grow anything unusual. But I think that it sounds like a great idea, it must be exciting to grow something that you can't buy at a store.
It's the first time when I hear of Huauzontole!:)

Reaction score
Being a very adventurous sort - I'm always growing unusual edibles and especially like different colored fruits and vegetables as well as unusual shapes and this year I'm planning on growing square watermelons and yellow strawberries - as well as my many favorite rainbow varieties which I grow every year :)

As Claudine mentioned - I think - as she said and many others will say - what is it - so is the Huauzontle you mention - the Mexican vegetable related to the Goosefoot weed - more commonly known as Aztec Spinach - that looks like this

aztec spinach  pot.jpg

Aztec Spinach.jpg

the vegetable you are meaning - which although it looks like broccoli tastes similar to spinach - but slightly bitter ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If it tastes similar to spinach, then I probably wouldn't like it:eek:. I've always hated spinach. But the plant itself is really pretty, I like it, I could grow it for its looks. It's so lush. Also, I'm sure that my boyfriend would be more than willing to eat it:)

Reaction score
Yes that is it!
It tasted really nice, kept it's texture when it was cooked and had a slightly salty taste (I'm not providing a great description am I?). Ours was quite a big plant, bigger than the ones in the picture, but it may be because it was planted straight into the ground instead of a pot.

A few years ago I grew some claytonia (miner's lettuce!) in a pot in the back garden. It grew really well in our British winter. I think I might sow some more this winter, although it keeps threatening to snow so it might not be the best time to sow seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My boyfriend loves spinach and salty foods, so Huauzontole will be perfect for him:)
Your description is very helpful, Katyb:) You and Gata Montes encouraged me to try to grow this weird vegetable:) Does it grow from a seed?

Reaction score
Yes, I grew it from seed, I got mine from real seeds in the UK but today I noticed them in another seed catalogue I was reading so I guess they are becoming a bit more common.

Good luck with finding seeds and growing some!

Reaction score
I stick to the classic vegetables: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, carrots, zucchini, and broccoli. I've never tried to grow any unusual vegetables.
This year, I hope to grow some potatoes, along with my usual crops.

Reaction score
The Huauzontole looks really interesting. I would love to try it out. It's great networking with you guys I learn so many new things. I wonder if it taste good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The most unusual vegetable that i have grown is Ramps, which are similar to a large green onion, or maybe a leek. They grow wild in some areas, and the last place we rented had some growing outside of the back of the house.
They come up in the late fall, and grow all winter, and then flower and go to seed in the spring and early summer. The blossoms look like a huge chive or clover blossom.
I would go out with my scissors and trim off some leaves and use them in soups and stews, and anyplace that you can use a green onion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 437
Reaction score
I think I may know ramps as wild garlic or ramson, or is it different? I love the smell of wild garlic!

I have had the seed catalogues out this week and have been thinking about what to grow. I've left it a lot later than normal this year!

Reaction score
I have never heard of that!
We usually just grow what we know and like.
I think it's a great idea to try to grow something unusual like that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
SunBakedParadis, your Romanesco broccoli looks so beautiful! It's amazing that something like this can grow naturally. If I didn't know that it's a vegetable, I'd say that it's a sculpture!

Reaction score
SunBakedParadise - Is the Romanesque Cauliflower / Broccoli in the picture one that you have grown yourself - because if it is have to say that its a stunner - although slightly greener than the ones I used to eat whilst living in Italy - where it originates from and although I'm not very keen on cauliflower have to admit - I love the way the Italians serve it - especially when served raw in salads - as its much sweeter and milder than regular cauliflower :D

We were discussing Romanesque Cauliflower - just last year on another thread and saying how amazing it was - as its hard to believe its real - especially as it looks more like a piece of coral - that could be used as a table decoration - rather than a vegetable :)

Ask a Question