Unusual vessels for growing herbs

Reaction score
I am currently sprouting some basil, parsley and cilantro seeds in believe it or not, hollowed out corks that I've glued magnets to and are now sitting on my refrigerator! The lighting is perfect so they get plenty of sun and I soaked the corks so they get a good amount of moisture.
What's your favorite sprouting vessel?

Reaction score
I'd like to see that! :)Have you got any photos?
I have once used about half a dozen of ladles for sprouting sunflower seeds. I got them at an opportunity store and hung them from a wooden beam in my kitchen. They looked absolutely great, but didn't last long. Friends came and just munched away...

Reaction score
I'll try to take some photos. I don't have a phone that allows me to snap pictures so I'll have to hunt for my camera. I love the idea of using ladles for sprouting sunflower seeds and how great that your friends could reap the benefits!

Reaction score
I'd really like to see some photos of all the clever ways that people sprout things, I'm always open to new ideas. Please post some pictures so that we can get a better idea of how you are doing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds like a great idea! And I'm sure that it looks pretty, I'd love to see it too:)
I eat lots and lots of sprouts, I love them, so I bought myself a sprouter.

Reaction score
I love the idea of using corks and making magnets; we are sprouting flower seeds in washed out egg shells for my daughter right now. I have not used too many items but hope to begin exploring other ideas here soon.

I like the idea of reusing things we would have thrown away so I am saving most of my containers now to resuse for seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Many people in this thread wanted to see corks used as little planters. I managed to find a picture of them, here it is:

6a0120a5c8d9a9970c015437bfb313970c-400wi

I like this idea very much! In my opinion corks like these make a lovely decoration:)

Reaction score
Many people in this thread wanted to see corks used as little planters. I managed to find a picture of them, here it is:

6a0120a5c8d9a9970c015437bfb313970c-400wi

I like this idea very much! In my opinion corks like these make a lovely decoration:)
How quaint is that! I just wonder how you water these little treasures? They look like they are attached to a lounge room wall, so I guess there must be a tray underneath them. I think it's a lovely idea to have miniature cork pots with living plants in your home, but I would find it too fiddly and worry all the time whether the plants get enough nutrients and water. They look so fragile.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How quaint is that! I just wonder how you water these little treasures? They look like they are attached to a lounge room wall, so I guess there must be a tray underneath them. I think it's a lovely idea to have miniature cork pots with living plants in your home, but I would find it too fiddly and worry all the time whether the plants get enough nutrients and water. They look so fragile.
I'm pretty sure I'd keep worrying about it too. To be honest, I didn't think about watering, it really may be a problem to do it.
I guess it's a temporary decoration. When the plants grow bigger, you have to transplant them to a normal flower pot.

Reaction score
Oh wow the picture of the corks is amazing. The only slightly unique vessel I have ever used is the eggshell. They look so pretty and delicate, I love the look of the shell paired with the delicate sprouts poking through the top. I may try the ladle idea, it sounds sturdy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I saw pictures of eggshells used as planters and I agree that it looks nice. In my opinion it's a perfect decoration for Easter:)
Here are a few inspirations that I found, I hope you'll like them as much as I do:) :

easter-ideas-egg-shell-candles-planters-eggcups-9.jpg

Egg-Shell-Succulents-planter.jpg

295292.jpg

The second one is my favorite:)

Reaction score
I love the idea of using corks and magnets. And I love the pictures of growing herbs in eggshells. So creative! We currently have a small pallet that is hanging on our kitchen wall that my husband adapted so that we could grow small plants in it. I chose herbs. It is so nice having them right there when I need them, and it adds a nice rustic kind of feel to our kitchen. I might try these ideas next year! Thanks for the inspiration!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those are great ideas. Do you have to eventually move your herbs to bigger pots or can you cook with them directly from the sprouter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
Corks and eggshells, what a novel idea! Personally, I've only ever used the egg trays, which worked just fine for sprouting. I may actually try the eggshells for starting off our bitter gourd plants and those darn finicky carnations.

Ask a Question