Unusual plant?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Below is a picture of a plant in our garden which we think is rather unusual in that it has both plain and varigated leaves; I'm certainly not a gardener but is this common? :unsure::)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00439.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. It usually means that the non-variegated part of the plant is taking over from the variegated. The green leaves are stronger growing than the variegated ones Normal course of action is to prune away the plain green leaving the variegated part too carry on growing. Eventually the variegated part will disappear altogether.
The other alternative is that a subtle change in the genetic make up, often caused by a virus, of one branch has made it go variegated. Propagating from that branch should produce a variegated shrub. This is often how new forms of plants occur.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Owdboggy for your most welcome detailed explanation; we've not seen one like this plants previously and wondered if it was common. (y):)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It is a pieris which loves acidic soil!

Lovely plant! Look after it.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp for identifying the plant; :) yes it is rather nice; Bron trims it every year and it seems happy to have its feet constantly in water.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp for identifying the plant; :) yes it is rather nice; Bron trims it every year and it seems happy to have its feet constantly in water.

Kind regards, Colin.

All the more reason for keeping it. I have bought quite a few of these. How are your cuttings doing?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for asking alp; the cuttings I took were mostly Pachysandra ground cover that I put in the cold frame; I recently planted them in the garden but because of the dire weather I've not been able to check them but I hope to do so if ever the rain and snow will quit. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You mean they have rooted? Amazing!

Ask a Question