Trimming muscadine vines after fruiting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My muscadines have just put out tiny clusters of fruits. The vines are more than 6 years old, haviing inherited them when we bought the house. Will it harm or slow the fruit if I trim off some of the vines that have no fruit on them and are just growing long and tall? I don't want to give the plant the idea to stop growing, but I'd like to "neaten" it up? I am in Southeast Coastal Georgia.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Wow you already have clusters of fruits on your muscadines? Mine have just barely leafed out here.

I don't think you can give muscadines "the idea to stop growing", at least in my experience. I trim them whenever they need it for managing and it does not seem to slow them down one iota.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
What's your favorite use of the crop? Mine would be jelly which is simply unequaled in taste. We also like to drink the juice from the grapes. Very satisfying drink.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I want to horn in here and ask about both trimming and moving 4 vines we have here in Alabama. There are 2 muscadine and 2 scuppernong. It is not the usual time to move one but they do seem aggressive and we have a long growth season ahead. There is just no good way to replace broken or failing posts or trellis wire, plus they need more sun.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I want to horn in here and ask about both trimming and moving 4 vines we have here in Alabama. ...

They are tough and resilient. If you trim them back, take a large root ball, and keep them well watered in the new location all summer, I think there is a good chance they will make it...but the sooner the better. One thing for sure unless they have full sun, they won't produce fruit.

Ask a Question