Cherry Tomato Sucker trimming

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I get carried away. I trim a sucker when it is small, 6"-12" and, at most, as thick as a pencil. A week or 2 later and a new sucker is there just as big and I trim it. I think I should leave those? In the past I think I trimmed to much and there were not enough leaves. Some of my plants produce so many it is crazy. Black cherry, supersweet 100 and bumble bee cherry tomatoes in particular.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pinch my suckers off about as quick as they show up but I always try to leave a top one in case the leading vine decides to dead end on me. This makes them grow a little faster since no energy is wasted growing a limb to be cut off. Don't prune when plants are wet or are in the blazing sun.

If they are determinate tomatoes, you may be just reducing your harvest. I really only sucker the inderminate ones but I will prune them all back to allow airflow and sunlight in.

A picture of what you are calling a sucker would probably help.

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pics, some go NUTS with suckers.
tttss.jpg
ttss.jpg
tss.jpg
ts.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep those are suckers. The only ones I've ever seen grow back are the ones near the ground. I've never actually looked to see if it was the actual sucker I cut off though. I have seen the end of the truss turn into a growing vine that I also prune away.

Don1971

Zone 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine grow back all the time. More likely if I trim them when they are really small - 2-3 days old.

Ask a Question