Cherry tomato plants in winter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Complete novice here. I was given tomato plant seeds and have managed to grow the plant succesfully and got a few tomato which i was delighted with. The ones outside have now died off as expected but I have one inside that is still going strong but I'm not quite sure what's best to do with it. Should I cut this right back? It does have some nice new dark green leaves but the stalks they are on are floppy. I will also upload a photo. Any advice very welcome.
download (33).png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,
Complete novice here. I was given tomato plant seeds and have managed to grow the plant succesfully and got a few tomato which i was delighted with. The ones outside have now died off as expected but I have one inside that is still going strong but I'm not quite sure what's best to do with it. Should I cut this right back? It does have some nice new dark green leaves but the stalks they are on are floppy. I will also upload a photo. Any advice very welcome.View attachment 74799
Tomatoes are classified as perennials but the older a plant gets the less it produces. An indeterminate tomato will keep growing its entire life and it is a vine. Floppy stalks are normal. You can cut the plant down and its existing root structure will send up new growth but its existing root system is still old. The best thing to do is to take cuttings and grow them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
Im sorry to ask here I am new but I'm trying to get advice on growing a cherry tomato plant from a seed.

I was wondering if I can ask about what to expect to make sure it grows well.

Thank you for any help I can get

-Joshua

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum) germinate very easily, but tomatoes only grow well in warm weather. Unless you have greenhouse conditions, wait for Spring. A good schedule for the Bay Area is to start seeds in early April on a sunny window sill for planting out in early-mid May. Depending on where you are in the Bay Area summers could be as cool and foggy or very hot and dry. You will want to select your cultivars with local climate in mind, especially if you are in the Fog Belt. There are tomato cultivars bred for such conditions. Indeterminate cultivars are more productive, but you must prepare for a larger plant with both a larger container and some sort of trellising system.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomatoes (Solanum lycopersicum) germinate very easily, but tomatoes only grow well in warm weather. Unless you have greenhouse conditions, wait for Spring. A good schedule for the Bay Area is to start seeds in early April on a sunny window sill for planting out in early-mid May. Depending on where you are in the Bay Area summers could be as cool and foggy or very hot and dry. You will want to select your cultivars with local climate in mind, especially if you are in the Fog Belt. There are tomato cultivars bred for such conditions. Indeterminate cultivars are more productive, but you must prepare for a larger plant with both a larger container and some sort of trellising system.
Thanks Marck. I actually have no choice but to grow it at this time because it is a project ^^. I live in San Francisco and weather usually on the colder side and usually. A weather website tell me November in SF is average Lows: 52 degrees F / Highs: 63 degrees F. Hm. I didn't think about cultivators but I did buy the cherry tomatoes in SF. (but im not sure where it's from I threw the package away). I think I will start putting it on the window sill.

Here is a Picture of my Cherry Tomato plant as well.

Attachments

• ct.jpg
    ct.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 27

Ask a Question