help to plant cherry tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
31ºc 66% humudity hot climate rains when it gets more hot
Country
India
Hello guys im planting cherry tomatoes for the first time and wanted to know from all experienced gardner what should be the dept of the container
And am i supposse to prune ??
And what is determinate or determine ???
Pls help me to understand this please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello guys im planting cherry tomatoes for the first time and wanted to know from all experienced gardner what should be the dept of the container
And am i supposse to prune ??
And what is determinate or determine ???
Pls help me to understand this please
There are 2 types of cherry tomatoes. There is the bush type which is a determinate plant. A determinate tomato plant is a plant that will only grow to a certain size and will produce all of its fruit in a fairly short period of time. Then there are indeterminate plants of which most cherry varieties are. These plants just keep on growing and producing fruit and can become quite large. If your plant is an indeterminate type I would not plant it in anything smaller than a 5 gallon container as a mature tomato can have an extensive root system. As for pruning you do not have to. Folks who must prune are those who live in areas where lack of sunlight is a factor such as in the UK. You live in India where it is just the opposite and you will need all of the foliage you can get. Only prune unhealthy limbs and leaves. Keep the base of your plant heavily mulched and make sure your container has plenty of drainage holes in the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
India
Thank u soo much
I wanted to know does epsom salt helps
I read an thread in other section
And why to mulch heavily ??
Mine is determinate herry tomatoes
What is usually harvest time after planting ?? And how would i come to know that the tomatoes r ready ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank u soo much
I wanted to know does epsom salt helps
I read an thread in other section
And why to mulch heavily ??
Mine is determinate herry tomatoes
What is usually harvest time after planting ?? And how would i come to know that the tomatoes r ready ??
Epsom salt is a great soil additive and also stops blossom end rot in larger varieties. Mulching is VERY important especially in your hot climate. Mulching does 3 things. It stops the soil from being splashed upon the leaves thereby helping to reduce soil born pathogens such as blight. It conserves water. It reduces the temperature and keeps the roots cooler. After setting out the transplant you should be getting some tomatoes in about 50-60 days depending on the variety. As to when to pick them there are two thoughts on this. Either wait until they reach their full color or in my case pick them at the first sign of color. Just store them inside and they will ripen just fine. I pick mine a little early because if I don't something else will eat them, either birds or some 4 legged critter. Tomatoes will start out a nice bright light green color. Then right before they start to get ripe they will become almost a white color. From the whitish color they will start to change into their final ripe color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
India
wowowo it would be fun to watch how tomatoes grow
thanks a million this is really a great help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
There are 2 types of cherry tomatoes. There is the bush type which is a determinate plant. A determinate tomato plant is a plant that will only grow to a certain size and will produce all of its fruit in a fairly short period of time. Then there are indeterminate plants of which most cherry varieties are. These plants just keep on growing and producing fruit and can become quite large. If your plant is an indeterminate type I would not plant it in anything smaller than a 5 gallon container as a mature tomato can have an extensive root system. As for pruning you do not have to. Folks who must prune are those who live in areas where lack of sunlight is a factor such as in the UK. You live in India where it is just the opposite and you will need all of the foliage you can get. Only prune unhealthy limbs and leaves. Keep the base of your plant heavily mulched and make sure your container has plenty of drainage holes in the bottom.

Thanks for the detailed post. I am only a novice cherry tomato planter, and living in Japan right now I don't have the luxury of being able to read the print on all the labels!

It seems like my cherry tomatoes this summer were the determinate kind since a couple of weeks ago the plant just died off - and towards the end of the summer it started producing less and less fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the detailed post. I am only a novice cherry tomato planter, and living in Japan right now I don't have the luxury of being able to read the print on all the labels!

It seems like my cherry tomatoes this summer were the determinate kind since a couple of weeks ago the plant just died off - and towards the end of the summer it started producing less and less fruit.
It probably was a determinate. In places where there isn't all that much growing area they are your best bet. In the future if you want to grow from seeds try a variety called TipTop. The tomatoes are profuse and larger than cherrys and the actual plant doesn't get much taller than 2 feet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
India
Ohhh this really really informative chuck
Tiptop variety first time i heard the name
how would i come to know that now the plants wont gove fruits does it keep giving tomatoes
till it lives

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We had never planted cherry tomatoes because we don't use them. But I heard that cherry tomatoes are high value crops, they cost more than the ordinary. And being tomatoes, I guess planting them is the same as planting ordinary tomatoes. What we do is refine the soil by removing impurities like rocks and stones then mixing a blend of clay and loam soil plus compost. It's a good planting bed for tomatoes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Ohhh this really really informative chuck
Tiptop variety first time i heard the name
how would i come to know that now the plants wont gove fruits does it keep giving tomatoes
till it lives
Determinate (bush) tomatoes tend to give their crops over a short period of time, whereas Indeterminate (vine) will continue growing and fruiting forever, or until disease/weather stops them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Check to see how tall they get before you buy them, the ones grow called 1000 cherry can get get 4 ft tall and need to be staked up, I get lots of tomatoes to the point I give them away. Cherry tomatoes are the only kind of tomatoes I will eat.

Ask a Question