Trimming non-sucker limb on tomato plant question.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I recently pruned back my tomato plants and a few of them had the "sucker" branches that were actually bigger and better looking than the "true" branches they were growing from so I trimmed the smaller "true" branch and left the bigger, better looking "sucker" branch instead?

Is this ok to do? Thanks in advanced!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is the only way to do it IMO. Cutting of suckers just reduces production. If water splash on the leaves was the reason for pruning, suckers grow upward and limbs hang downwards. I always remove the lower limbs and leave the suckers for this reason. Pruning like this is required in the southern US because of early blight and other soil borne fungal infections. In the UK pruning both suckers and limbs is required because of the diminished sunlight but even in the northern US folks still to this day continue to prune suckers, the reason why I do not know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is the only way to do it IMO. Cutting of suckers just reduces production. If water splash on the leaves was the reason for pruning, suckers grow upward and limbs hang downwards. I always remove the lower limbs and leave the suckers for this reason. Pruning like this is required in the southern US because of early blight and other soil borne fungal infections. In the UK pruning both suckers and limbs is required because of the diminished sunlight but even in the northern US folks still to this day continue to prune suckers, the reason why I do not know.
Great, thanks for the reply Chuck!

I have always heard to prune the suckers, which I get if they are small and not as healthy looking as the "true" branches, but these were looking great so I left them and pruned back the smaller branches as I mentioned. Good info!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great, thanks for the reply Chuck!

I have always heard to prune the suckers, which I get if they are small and not as healthy looking as the "true" branches, but these were looking great so I left them and pruned back the smaller branches as I mentioned. Good info!
On hybrid tomatoes did you ever wonder why the suckers are small until the first buds on the plant form fully and then they shoot up?

Reaction score
Country
United States
On hybrid tomatoes did you ever wonder why the suckers are small until the first buds on the plant form fully and then they shoot up?

No.. I don't guess I have ever noticed that in the hybrids versus the heirloom ones? I guess they were "engineered" that way?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No.. I don't guess I have ever noticed that in the hybrids versus the heirloom ones? I guess they were "engineered" that way?
Yes, they were engineered that way, but why? Is it because hybrid tomato plants fruit all ripen in a fairly short period of time? Because if only the blooms on the main trunk were available to fruit, one wouldn't have nearly as many tomatoes would one? So why would one even think about pruning suckers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I try to keep the mainstem and a sucker growing so I have two vines worth of tomatoes growing off the same root. One stem just doesn't produce enough in my experience. Seems like 2 stems produce 3 times the tomatoes. I also dont let my leaves touch the ground. If they do they get pruned back or off.

Sometimes the stem will "V" off and then you question "is that the stem or not?". In that case, it doesn't really matter which you keep as long as you keep 2 stems growing.

I always try to keep a sucker near the top because somethimes the stem will just deadend and that is the end of the vine. If you have a sucker, then it will branch off and continue.

It also seems to me like the higher part/vine of the tomato is what controls what goes on with the branching.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
What Chuck forgets is that if you grow heirloom plants, the seeds can either be kept or are quite cheap to buy.
If you single-stem tomatoes, you can grow them much closer together, & you will get, overall, a higher, better quality crop out of the same area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I grow my heirloom beef toms in tubs on a rain gutter system in the greenhouse. I use two canes wigwam style and train my toms up them going clockwise so I can get 8 or 9 ft plants that are only 5 and a half ft tall. I only keep the main stem and average 11 to 15 lb of toms off each one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow my heirloom beef toms in tubs on a rain gutter system in the greenhouse. I use two canes wigwam style and train my toms up them going clockwise so I can get 8 or 9 ft plants that are only 5 and a half ft tall. I only keep the main stem and average 11 to 15 lb of toms off each one.
Yes, that's correct, I don't for one second dispute that you can get more tomatoes per plant from a multi-stem, no-prune plant. BUT, they're more prone to disease, are lower quality tomatoes & your crop is condensed & later.
As I said, if you grow single stem plants, you can grow them closer together for a harvest that is larger overall, of higher quality, over a longer period, & since heirloom seeds tend to be cheap, & you can save your own for next year, the difference in price is trivial or none.

Remember, I mean a higher crop IN THE SAME AREA.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
heirloom seeds tend to be cheap, & you can save your own for next year,
Remember tomato seeds need to ferment in the mush from the tomato to germinate. If you simply wash and dry them they go nowhere, scrape out the inside and leave it to stand for a bit until it starts fizzing, then wash and dry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All my greenhouse beef toms are grown as a single stem. I have a 10ft long greenhouse and I grow one row of ten toms. As I've stated before I can get 10ft long stems in 5 and a half ft. On average I get 7 trusses per plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All my greenhouse beef toms are grown as a single stem. I have a 10ft long greenhouse and I grow one row of ten toms. As I've stated before I can get 10ft long stems in 5 and a half ft. On average I get 7 trusses per plant.
How are you getting 10' of stem in 5.5' of space?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, they were engineered that way, but why? Is it because hybrid tomato plants fruit all ripen in a fairly short period of time? Because if only the blooms on the main trunk were available to fruit, one wouldn't have nearly as many tomatoes would one? So why would one even think about pruning suckers?
They only do that if you don't prune.

If you prune suckers, the plant puts some of the saved energy into earlier production of tomatoes, & some into larger, better quality tomatoes.
If you have three/four/five single-stem tomato plants in the same area as one unpruned plant, you have three/four/five root systems taking up nutrients & water instead of one.
If you have three/four/five single-stem plants in the same area as one unpruned plant, & you notice early signs of disease, you may be lucky & lose only some of your plants, whereas, with one unpruned plant you lose the lot.
Also, in unpruned tomatoes, the inner fruit get much less light, making them much lower quality.
In the US you have much better light than we in the UK, so if your unpruned tomatoes need 3'x3', we, in the UK, who need to leave 18" between plants, can get four in the same space, whilst, in general, you yanks can grow NINE a foot apart.
You will never convince me that you get nine times as many tomatoes from an un-pruned plant.
Furthermore, the extension of the season is backwards, as in starting earlier, so those weeks when you're desperate for a home-grown tomato, having had more than enough of the poor, crisp, tasteless balls of water, that supermarkets call tomatoes, are fewer.

It is, of course, far more work

Ask a Question