Tomatoes and walnuts

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
So any wisdom about tomatoes and English / Carpathian walnut trees? Will the English walnut trees adversely effect tomatoes as badly as black walnut?

Deeper background as to why I ask this:
I planted an English walnut well away from my garden in an area where wind will blow the leafs out of my yard into the neighbor's place in the off chance it would hurt my tomatoes. But this was done 3 years ago and I was intending the stand of black walnuts across the street to pollinate my English walnut. Now that stand of black walnuts is being removed and I want to ensure pollination. The only area I could nicely place another English walnut is upwind of my garden in the yard area I collect leafs for composting and adding to the garden.

All my basic searches on this kick over to talking about black walnut.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Will the English walnut trees adversely effect tomatoes as badly as black walnut?
I can testify to firsthand experience with the allopathic properties of the Black Walnut... and its real. However, no experience with the English Walnut. I have read it is less powerful in the English than the Black Walnut, FWIW. I'd guess that you would have to avoid adding any leaves from English to the garden but unless the tree is right in proximity to the garden it should be ok.

Ask a Question