United States
Growing some Rosella cherry tomatoes this year

IMG_2578.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I sowed 'house' tomatoes in Feb to grow indoors. They've had little green tomatoes on them for about 3 weeks now. I'm hoping they go red by then end of May. Apparently it's a type of tomato that will keep producing fruit for years. As long as there's enough light they'll keep producing tomatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Susan, all tomatoes are perennial plants, but the problems start when they cop their first frosts. This is why, as they are so easy to propagate from seed, it is generally accepted that we stick them on the compost at the end of the season and plant new ones in the spring.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I sowed 'house' tomatoes in Feb to grow indoors. They've had little green tomatoes on them for about 3 weeks now. I'm hoping they go red by then end of May. Apparently it's a type of tomato that will keep producing fruit for years. As long as there's enough light they'll keep producing tomatoes.

They need warmth to ripen, our first ones are just thinking about turning red now :)

I've kept plants alive over winter but it was a pain in the bottom. They grow leggy trying to find enough light and really aren't happy. Then there's the blight. If that overwinters on your plants it makes a much more virulent strain the next year that no amount of facemasks will protect against :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cherry tomatoes are evil!

We had several Cherry plants several years ago and we couldn't pick fast enough. Lots of small tomatoes on the ground. The next summer we were overrun with random tomato plants. I personally pulled over 200 seedlings from our garden and gave them away.

All tomatoes can do that but the little buggers are the worst. I'm already spotting little random tomato plants this year. There's one spot where I might let them go hoping they are a variety I really liked last year but couldn't find locally this year. (Black Krim)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the camping site here was in full swing, the campers would sow tomato seeds all around the hedgerows where they threw the washing up water, so they grew everywhere like weeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Susan, all tomatoes are perennial plants, but the problems start when they cop their first frosts. This is why, as they are so easy to propagate from seed, it is generally accepted that we stick them on the compost at the end of the season and plant new ones in the spring.
This is a little bush tomato that you grow on a sunny windowsill - it never gets bigger than 12 inches tall and will keep producing year after year. If you give it a bit of light from grow lights in the depths of winter it'll produce tomatoes all year around.

Even if you don't have grow lights, you'll get fruit much earlier from an already established plant than you will from a plant started from seed.
This year I started my seedlings in feb under grow lights and have fruit by may. Next year, if I switch on the grow lights in feb my established plants will be producing fruit by march!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They need warmth to ripen, our first ones are just thinking about turning red now :)

I've kept plants alive over winter but it was a pain in the bottom. They grow leggy trying to find enough light and really aren't happy. Then there's the blight. If that overwinters on your plants it makes a much more virulent strain the next year that no amount of facemasks will protect against :eek:
It's a little indoor tomato that grows on a sunny windowsill. Think of it as a house plant. It even looks nice!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got 22 Beefsteak and Romane Tomatoes. Was looking at some same size as mine at the store. $16 apiece.

Have a section picked out in my Greenhouse for this Winter.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh your talking about one of those bigger tomato plants you can buy. Yea I don't understand paying that much either.

Ask a Question