Southwestern Ohio- Tomatoes in the dirt yet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My tomato plants are outgrowing their pots and I've had to take the out of my tent to make room for starting other veggies. They are in a room that gets decent light, but I think they need put in the ground soon. I think they are big/small enough that if a frost was expected I could cover ea one with a plastic grocery bag? Any one in my area have them in the dirt yet?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you cover them you may stop them from dying, but they may get a shock which will take some time to recover from, & there'd be no growth at all during that time.
Unless they are really potbound, you're better doing what you're doing.
There are resources here in the UK telling your likely last frost date, so I'm sure you have similar resources there
I don't mean to be sarcastic, but doesn't Springboro Ohio have Google?

Too Cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Never use plastic to cover a plant for cold. Use a product like Nsulate. If tomatoes are subjected to 45F weather they will literally stop growing and will take time to start again. And many times it actually stunts the plant. I would not put tomatoes in the ground until the soil temperature was at least 55F and 55F is really too cold for good growth.

Last edited:

Ask a Question