HELP ME SAVE MY TOMATOES IN MALAWI BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

Reaction score
Country
Malawi
Good day everyone.

I'm an amateur gardener from Malawi, Africa, just recently getting into home gardening and such. I have a large bed of tomatoes, and some (refer to the pictures attached) have began to yellow, burn, and curl.

My gardener's used an organic manure in soil when they were preparing the bed, and pesticides to help with a bug problem we had (trying to grow other Vegetables before). So, after some brief sleuthing online, I suspect it's nitrogen burn, or sun burn (which I doubt as the bed only gets full-on sunlight for a short while)

Tomatoes are extremely expensive in my country right now, and any help to guarantee their survival would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Link to pictures: https://we.tl/t-FicDbWG3Cn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried the download. Didn't work, but I and many others on this forum are somewhat computer challenged. Why not just take a picture and download to the forum instead of us having to go to all of the trouble of blocking ad blockers and trying to figure how to use that app?

Reaction score
Country
Malawi
I tried the download. Didn't work, but I and many others on this forum are somewhat computer challenged. Why not just take a picture and download to the forum instead of us having to go to all of the trouble of blocking ad blockers and trying to figure how to use that app?
Of course, my apologies. The picture option wasn't available as I my account hadn't been registered yet, my bad
IMG_20230522_165455.jpg
IMG_20230522_165327.jpg
IMG_20230522_165420.jpg
IMG_20230522_165309.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Of course, my apologies. The picture option wasn't available as I my account hadn't been registered yet, my bad View attachment 96599View attachment 96600View attachment 96601View attachment 96602
IMO it is not fertilizer burn nor sunburn. I do think that too much manure was used as evidenced by the green leaves with yellow tips show, especially if the manure was not composted and used fairly fresh. The plant will grow out of this. I am not familiar with harmful insects in Africa but in picture #4 I see 2 insects which may or may not be harming the plant but something is causing the white spots and I suspect insects. I don't believe that you have a fungal issue. You will be well served to place a couple of inches of mulch or compost around the base of the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure Chuck would agree, if I add to this, to pinch out any dead leaves, or that are obviously not in good shape.
The good news is that the growing tips look good, so that's a plus.
Animal manures can be very moisture retentive when new, so make sure not to over water them.
If you put your index finger into the soil, and it comes out dry & clean, water your tomatoes.
Not before.
Good luck.

Ask a Question