Help me save this beloved dracaena

LRP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello friends.

I am one of those people who just does not have a green thumb. However, my husband was gifted a beautiful dracaena plant when his father passed away. And it’s my mission to keep it alive.

It was in a smaller pot for a long time. I thought maybe I needed to give it a bigger pot as it grew taller, but it’s never been the same. It did well like this for a while but it started to get tall so bought a stake to help keep it up. It liked that for a while but it has outgrown it and started dropping. It used to stand up with no assistance. Now I’m afraid it’s going to break.

On top of that, 2 weeks ago a pipe burst in my house and flooded it. The clean up people placed the plant outside in 110F temp and it really made the plant mad.

I’ve taken it to work (office) and placed in a bright indirect window. But it’s still drooping, sad and browning leaves. Any recommendations on what to do? Should I put in smaller pot?

I only water when 1-2 inches below the service is dry. And only filtered water. I dust the leaves also. What am I doing wrong? We live in southern CA.

I would appreciate any advice. I’m not even sure of the species. I don’t think it’s lemon lime because of the leaves color. The internet is so saturated with different info I’m scared to do anything to it!

Thank you in advance for any replies!

920A2D23-9472-4868-B28E-5D68C9C4770D.jpeg

ACDA45B5-54D2-4758-B21F-617604EF8BF9.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like the plant is staying too wet. Are there drainage holes in the bottom of the container?

LRP

Reaction score
Country
United States
No holes. But when I feel almost all the way down it’s not wet. And that’s when I water it. But I was considering re-potting anyway so I will make sure to get one with holes. It’s just that it lived in here for a long time doing just fine. I don’t remember over watering but maybe I did somehow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No holes. But when I feel almost all the way down it’s not wet. And that’s when I water it. But I was considering re-potting anyway so I will make sure to get one with holes. It’s just that it lived in here for a long time doing just fine. I don’t remember over watering but maybe I did somehow.
If all of the water cannot either evaporate or be used by the plant it will accumulate near the bottom of the container and make the soil around the roots of the plant too moist to be healthy. And the reason it has lived successfully in that container is that the roots are just now growing deep enough to be affected by the accumulated moisture. You probably didn't water too much, it is just that the water had no place to go and it has built up over time. Just hope that you caught the problem in time to prevent root rot. When you transplant into a bigger pot, look at the roots and if they are brown they are dead and rotting. They should be a cream color or white.

LRP

Reaction score
Country
United States
That makes total sense. Thank you so much for explaining that. I will repot asap with a pot with holes. Do you have a size recommendation? Is there no way to bring it back to health if they have rotted?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That makes total sense. Thank you so much for explaining that. I will repot asap with a pot with holes. Do you have a size recommendation? Is there no way to bring it back to health if they have rotted?
As to the size of the pot I would one half again as big. Different gardeners have different methods to cure root rot but the following is what has worked for me. Remove the plant from its container and with a water hose wash away all of the soil. Snip off any and all brown roots. Repot into new container with new soil and saturate the new soil with 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts water. Then just leave it alone and hopefully you have killed the pathogen. Water and fertilize when needed as usual.

Ask a Question